Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Colorado Gold Camp has the best claims without a doubt. Their claims are up in the mountains in Summit County, Park County, Lake County and you can use whatever gear you want. This is a for profit club run by e guy who owns the claims. They don't have meetings. My friends in the club say you can get enough gold to pay your dues in one weekend of dredging the claims.

Next best and much cheaper is Gold Prospectors of Colorado. This is a non-profit, truly a club and they meet monthly in Colorado Springs. Claims in Park County and maybe Lake County, I'm not sure.

The GPAA claims in most of CO are pretty weak so it's not really an option unless you are headed to the far SW/W of the state...

OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info Kevin! Looks like Gold camp is the way I will go and you are welcome to come & join in!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info Kevin! Looks like Gold camp is the way I will go and you are welcome to come & join in!

Wow, thanks! I have full/free access to a set of claims through my best friend Don so I'm not a member of CGC but I'm close friends with several members and they love it.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with all the laws and claims and things, I plan on traveling the western states and It seems you just can't stop and camp and pan a little with out getting in trouble. So I imagine joining a major club is one of the easiest way to get steered in the right direction and not step on someones claim or break a rule.

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the Colorado Gold Camp site. Neat. Then I checked out the elevation - 9,400 ft! Birds can barely fly at that altitude. I live at sea level but have prospected at 5,000. It is not pleasant for us old farts with bad lungs as a result of smoking all those years when it was so cool. Kevin thanks for the tip, but I need to stay a little lower.

Thurman

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thurman, in your case, I'd recommend staying down in metro Denver. There's lots of open space parks,etc where you are welcome to dig the creek/river beds for gold. There are MANY spots to dig. Here are a few:
*Arapahoe Bar Info
http://www.ci.wheatridge.co.us/1184/Gold-Panning

Grant Frontier Park Info
http://www.gnwy.org/web/index.php/chompers-chatter/get-to-know-your-greenway/grant-frontier-park/

http://www.denvergov.org/portals/747/documents/parkart/ParkArt_Grant Frontier Park.pdf

Clear Creek Canyon Openspace Park
http://jeffco.us/parks/recreation/gold-prospecting/

Steele Street Park "Big Bend"
http://adcogov.org/Facilities.aspx?Page=detail&RID=47

You can also dig anywhere you want in Cherry Creek within the city limits of Denver...and I've found gold several places.

The key rule in town is to stay in the bed of the stream, you can be fined or arrested for digging in the bank as you are destroying city park property then. Also NO gas engines in town, no dredging but electric battery power is ok. I've had friendly cops check in with me a number of times...on bike or horse so they do keep an eye on things :)

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
with all the laws and claims and things, I plan on traveling the western states and It seems you just can't stop and camp and pan a little with out getting in trouble. So I imagine joining a major club is one of the easiest way to get steered in the right direction and not step on someones claim or break a rule.

Or just do your research before you head out. There are plenty of spots where you are good to go. It's just like fishing, picking wild flowers,etc...know the ownership of the land you are on and the rules associated with it.

The big clubs are great digging options in some places but complete failures in others so they are not a real problem solver either...just depends where you will be.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like Kevin said, do your research... Sounds easy? It really is, once you figure out How to do the research, Where to do the research, and even worse, WHAT to research.....

Once you have the HOW, WHERE, and WHAT licked, It will only take you a short bit of time to get the lay of the land, and where you can and can not go, where ever you are traveling.

Obviously you are in the East and have probably never had to deal with it before... I suggest you practice... Pick an area you are going to travel through, pick a section, and do all the
research, just like you were there and staking a claim... Figure out the status of the land, that should always be first, and its the only thing the BLM checks... WHO owns it... Then
do your due diligence with the BLM and the LR2000... And then you can contact the county clerk, and hopefully they are as nice as mine are, and will e-mail you the paperwork. Now
you know what the paperwork looks like... Its the figuring out HOW to do it, and where to do it that is the hard part... Doing its easy.

Down the road, once you are familiar with the process, you will be able to pull up the basic stuff online, then roll on into the clerks office, check the paperwork, and then get out there and get some gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread