Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Raining pretty good here now. Preview of coming attractions. Internet and TV both suffer too this time of year...next door to off the grid. The rain's no secret. Been expecting it, we need it, blah blah but more importantly, it makes me change gears. It is simply time to relax, refocus. research and review...which is a very good thing. A mandatory time out so to speak to just take the time...settle in and hopefully use the time wisely. (It's also an effective strategy against cabin fever I've found).

So been kicking some ideas around in my head to better myself as a prospector and hopefully the resulting improved miner part will follow. Here are mine and please share any of yours. Haven't really prioritized it yet but each are important enough to note for now.

Reread front to back... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

If there is one thing I've learned is that just like any new course of study, the more you learn the more you can pick up the second time around. When I first read Bedrock and Gold from front to back in 2013, I was a complete newbie. Maybe (maybe) getting 10% out of it. One of my tasks I've assigned to myself this winter is to completely reread the thread and take notes on the things that apply to me for 2016. Also to be done...all rules, regs and law files I have need to be reviewed, updated and printed out (especially if in my favor).

Use and become proficient on Land Matters in my area. http://www.mylandmatters.org/

Time to cash in on all that info that we have now. Never have we had this kind of access to what we need in history. Wow. Trouble is...I'm not a fast learner anymore (just ask the other Jeff) so I have lagged on it's use. But now...it's important because my new mantra is...(no, it's not sample)...

THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN POKING A SHOVEL INTO WHAT LOOKS TO BE GOOD GROUND!

Has my method worked? Yes. I can now find gold pretty much any where I go looking for it. The problem is I got .25 grams for the season and I now want that much per visit. Not a deal breaker if it doesn't happen...just what I'd like.

View/learn and apply the information contained in my CA DVD also from Land Matters...

Donation with free gift Special Research Collection One

And at least for the the moment...and due to the importance of the research, ALL lands that are not private property or claimed will be investigated in my area for the purpose of discovery with respect only to the environment.

Use/study and implement my newly acquired shrimp gun and incorporate my poor man's bazooka into the gun and/or my regular sampling/testing routine. It's hard to argue with that suction gun. It produced my first picker (see my new avatar) AND it was found with it's first use AND in the lower river.:headbang:

Sample often and as a matter of routine...not as an after thought. Do it quickly...just as I now pan. Don't give in to the insanity that sets in the minute you get boots on the ground.

Use magnets more during prospecting,sampling and clean ups. Make them available and easier to use. Ordered one of these today...

SE 8036TM-NEW 30-Inch Telescoping Magnetic Pick-Up Tool with 15-lb. Pull Capacity - - Amazon.com

Pay more attention to cobble and the type of rocks/minerals. (Yes...really ID them). Do this for both good and bad gold producing samples. So also looking at one of these...

Amazon.com : Teknetics Gold Pick with fiberglass handle, rubberized hand grip and powerful super magnet : Home Improvement

Lose the last 25 pounds. Starting now. (I took two weeks off...it was fun)

I know many of you will see your influences on my list and for that I thank you...you know who you are. :thumbsup:

Well, enuf time talking about it. Time to prioritize, chart and engage. I wasn't kidding when I said I want to get .25 gr per visit instead of per season...so like Brittney says..."You want Gold? Better Work B****!"

Well. This turned out longer than expected. Your turn. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A 35MM film container works even better. Just drill a hole in the cap, run the bolt through it, put the nut on with a dab of loc-tite and then put the magnet(s) on the nut. Snap the cap back on and you're good to go. As an "Old School" photographer, I still use 35MM film all the time. If you're pure digital, go to the local CVS or Walgreens photo department and ask them if they have any empty ones from when people turn their pictures in for processing.

Those are cool but too small/slow for me. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446611964.167510.jpg
More surface area on the bottom of the yogurt cup fits the larger magnets and makes quick work of the separation. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446612117.807801.jpg
..."fruit on the bottom"!! LoL!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Kev!!! We keep trying to tell ya that "Size don't matter". I found some dime size super magnets at my local mining supply (The Gold Lady in Kingman) for a couple of bucks and they work great. I made my current ones up in the field and since I don't use any refrigeration out there, no yogurt cups were to be had at the time. Film I've always got.

On my last trip over to the Gold Ladys' shop she showed me a spinning drill mounted magnet system that worked really cool but when I saw the price I decided to fill the tank on the truck instead... :o

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're so funny! (I hear it does matter ;) )

Good job making it work with what you have on hand...that's my way too :)

I too have run into that spinner magnet thingy and met the inventor at the Denver gold show. Very well made but no way I would get enough benefit to ever pay the price they are asking.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reading these last several posts brought to mind that one might be able to turn one or more of the small neo magnets into a large surface area magnet by sticking it/them to a flat washer of appropriate size to fit what ever container you use. Now that I thought of it I guess I will have to try it since I have a few of them (small neo's from the back of conference name tags) around. Most of the attraction will probably be centered below the magnet(s) but fringe areas should have attraction too.:dontknow: Also, I just now thought that it would be helpful to devise an adjustable standoff of some type to insure that the magnets do not come too close to the material and trap gold to be sucked up with the magnetic black sands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,
Very good list! Staying fit all winter spring summer fall, etc. helps to preserve what we have left in us and I am trying to do the same. Like you I am also trying to make some plans for the winter time, I hope they go well as it will make all the difference in the world to me.

Magnets - recently I had the opportunity to gut an old but reasonably good hard drive, if it weighs a lot I try to take it all the way down to just the main frame. The storage disc's make for really good signal mirrors as the hole in the center allows one to center the disc to the spot you hope sees your signal. Then sometimes they have some Amazing Magnets in them the likes of which I've never seen in a store. I recovered four of these very special magnets from this unit, two large and two small. They are very powerful with the larger ones being very difficult to remove from the refrigerator door face. I figure one of these will accompany me on my outings from now on.

That pick sounds interesting and I'd appreciate seeing a picture of it when you have it at home.

For me right now I just try and make it through each day = existing and I'm looking forward to better!

Enjoy all your very worthwhile list of things to do to make yourself better.................63bkpkr

View attachment 1231178 One never knows what they will find just under the water!

You are a noble man working for the cause as you do. I wish you much success in the completion of that chapter of your life and can't wait to celebrate your freedom to return to the gold fields of your choice. :thumbsup:

and here's why I dig every target...even iron.

Antique Stagecoach Cast Iron Lock Box Strongbox Safe Chest Wells Fargo Bank

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You are a noble man working for the cause as you do. I wish you much success in the completion of that chapter of your life and can't wait to celebrate your freedom to return to the gold fields of your choice. :thumbsup:

and here's why I dig every target...even iron.

Antique Stagecoach Cast Iron Lock Box Strongbox Safe Chest Wells Fargo Bank

Man! That's cool! Bet that would make a detector flat out scream as it went over it! Wouldn't mind finding one of those still full of gold from back in the day......

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't overlook the areas where they say there is no gold either. The vast majority of those areas haven't been explored with modern methods and technology yet. If I remember right, it takes 41 5 gallon buckets to equal a yard of material. Now evenly distribute 2 or 3 ounces of gold dust throughout the buckets. Be pretty damn hard to see that kind of distribution with the naked eye.

Hope this stays spelled correctly. Trying to adjust to a tablet instead of my laptop. Its a lot smaller and easier to carry.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I'm happy...just wanna get obviously better at it and then...more happy. :hello2::occasion18::headbang:

And what are you guys in the true NE planning/strategies for 2016???

BTW I forgot to mention...learn more about underwater sniping using mask/snorkel. I may just have a buddy interested in the same technique... huh Mike?

Hey Jeff, you bet on the snorkeling. What a relaxing way to prospect and if a person doesn't wander to far pretty easy on the old bones. I figure to float a pan and tools along the way.

More weather is on the way for this weekend. Suppose to get quite a bit colder too. This can actually make the river drop more as all the small feeder streams in the mountains freeze up.

Mike

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't overlook the areas where they say there is no gold either. The vast majority of those areas haven't been explored with modern methods and technology yet. If I remember right, it takes 41 5 gallon buckets to equal a yard of material. Now evenly distribute 2 or 3 ounces of gold dust throughout the buckets. Be pretty damn hard to see that kind of distribution with the naked eye.

Hope this stays spelled correctly. Trying to adjust to a tablet instead of my laptop. Its a lot smaller and easier to carry.

I've found my best gold where the old maps say it ain't! South metro Denver for example has gold in more places than you'd ever guess. North metro Denver too for that matter. And right near the football stadium too!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found my best gold where the old maps say it ain't! South metro Denver for example has gold in more places than you'd ever guess. North metro Denver too for that matter. And right near the football stadium too!
Let's see here. Tall hill, radio and you're set to watch the game while ya mine. Sounds like a plan to me!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's see here. Tall hill, radio and you're set to watch the game while ya mine. Sounds like a plan to me!

More like down in the South Platte River at the edge of the parking lot but...yeah. I've imagined organizing a club outing to go there...plenty of parking for free on non-game days I bet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions