🥇 BANNER Plate Plate Plate!!!! Cincinnati Ohio

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is one of those finds you see other people dig up on YouTube but never expect to really find one yourself. Well today it happened, I grabbed one of my great white Buffaloes!!! Lol ..The day started by getting rejected at a few places but because of perseverance I ended up at a 1850s mansion in Cincinnati. Right next to that beautiful red brick side of the house I blindly wrapped my hands around this plate at every bit of 8 inches. The dirt is still moist so please advise on how I should clean this since I'm not finding relics like this every day.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 58

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk to cannonballguy. He's the master of all things relic. He deals relics for a living and knows preservation. Also Vino knows a thing or two.

Congrats and good luck. Keep the dirt moist in the meantime but maybe keep it out of water until you contact Cannonballguy.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of a buckle, very rare. I'm voting banner!

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fan-flippin-tastic! Congrats on a great find! Something special about a buckeye brass buckle.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great plate!!! I saw this post this am and looked up OVM...saw a few that had been dug, and others that have sold....lots of money!!! Congrats on your banner find!!!

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and complete too! I'd be sniffin' around that area really low/slow until it gets too hot if it were me.HH...

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and an awesome CW plate.
For display on my plates I've dug ...I just brush dried dirt off with soft brush. I Prefer a hint of dirt on mine.
If you want it cleaner water doesn't hurt it.
NOTE: to do over clean for sure!!!!!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely incredible! That is one of my Holy Grail finds, being from Ohio. Looks to be complete with the hooks too. Congratulations! :occasion14:

Steve

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is beyond COOL!! That is a Holy Grail find for Ohio CW era relics! Big Congrats from another Buckeye. Congrats on the Banner as well, very much deserved!!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From a Virginian who lived in Cincinnati (Price Hill while attending Cincinnati Bible College) I am FLOORED. First, ditto what everybody else said, but I knew a lot of the great Old Timers like Mac Mason, Gary Williams, et al. Even back in the 60s and 70s and OVM drew a LOT of attention, and was considered a killer plate. To find it in Cincy . . . I mean some boy bringing that thing back HOME . . . and then to lose it . . . and all these years later you pull it up. Just WOW. Huge congrats to you. That one will be awfully hard to top. First one I've EVER seen on Tnet. You're at the top of the heap today my friend . . . treat yourself to some Skyline. Or Trottas!

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!! WOW!! what a hit----gongrats!---will some one chime in on the history of OVM, please--- da Prof-

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
relicman put this info up at his site

Ohio oval belt plate, OVM, medium size, left handed, arrow hooks.
Buckle depicts "OVM", Ohio Volunteer Militia, intended for Ohio units. Buckle is oval following the Federal Regulation of 1839, and was designed to secure a belt fitted over a soldier's jacket, used to carry his cartridge and cap box, along with any other items carried on a belt. This pattern is the medium size. Buckle was manufactured before the war, brass plate is stamped on thin sheet brass, solder filled, configured as a left handed buckle, single brass arrow hook, tongue is flat brass and not beveled, with rounded end.
Ref: O'Donnell & Campbell, Plate 553.
more examples
Ridgeway Civil War Reference Archive - Ohio buckles & plates

an img on uniform
http://civilwartalk.com/attachments/ovm-plate-jpg.13755/

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful relic!! Congrats on the find and the banner!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find. Congratulations.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a Virginian who lived in Cincinnati (Price Hill while attending Cincinnati Bible College) I am FLOORED. First, ditto what everybody else said, but I knew a lot of the great Old Timers like Mac Mason, Gary Williams, et al. Even back in the 60s and 70s and OVM drew a LOT of attention, and was considered a killer plate. To find it in Cincy . . . I mean some boy bringing that thing back HOME . . . and then to lose it . . . and all these years later you pull it up. Just WOW. Huge congrats to you. That one will be awfully hard to top. First one I've EVER seen on Tnet. You're at the top of the heap today my friend . . . treat yourself to some Skyline. Or Trottas!

Very Well Said PW.
I recall there (or I hear) there was one dug about 10 miles South of me Many years ago, est, 70's early 80's & is still remembered well by Local Relic Hunters .
A Big CONGRATZ!!

P.S
If you don;t mind OP, was the Mansion Occupied / Lived in 'Now'.
To get permission on such a place is an art in it's Self. As I am learning.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread