Plated War Nickels?

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Saw a thread a while back about a shiny war nickle.
Knew that I had several that were like that- but didn't realize how many!

Anyone know for sure what the plating is?

It is definately added on to (on top of) well worn real nickels - have a close up of one where there must have been gunk on the coin and the plating did not stick so well.

PEACE
CRH Nickel pile 1.JPG CRH Nickel Shinies 1.JPG CRH Nickel Shinies 2.JPG
View attachment 743350

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal Composition: 35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
hows that help?..lol

If you mean how does knowing it's chrome help? Well, I suppose I respect a guess as much as a linked fact to wikipedia if that's all that's given. What's your guess?

If it's chrome- at least now I can attempt to remove it with a simple bath in sodium hydrocloride, maybe acetone or amonia. Or, to make sure it's chrome spray on some heavy duty oven cleaner and if it whipes off- it is chrome. On the other hand, if it were nickel plating- nitric acid would remove it but also likely damage the coin if not carefull. A guess at silver plating would be wrong- and that would take 3 parts sulfiric acid and 1 part nitric acid and some heat to remove it.

Suppose the answer to your question is- yes- I'd consider suggesting it's chrome with some iota of information that leads me to believe he might know this- to be somewhat helpful. At the least- as helpful as anything else on the internet (has to be true right!)- I can try the oven cleaner first- and save the destructive acids for later if it don't work...

I got several of these nickels, plenty of time, and a barn full of bada$$ chemicals- why not... I'd prefer to see the real nickel rather than a fake looking shiny one... Oh, almost forgot- lol.

Peace. Seriously - PEACE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread