PLATINUM FLUX SMELTING PLATINUM

aussco999

Dec 25, 2003
Texas
Hey Phil:

Going to need some more info on what you have, and what you are trying to do before recommending any good flux for recovering platinum (Pt). Also, keep in mind the high melting point of Pt (1772C - 3222F), will require the flux mixture to have some sort of eutectic action (lowering the melting point) of the Pt if you are going to fire it in a regular furnace, and that is normally done by using some form of lead (Pb).

There are 4 basic types of fluxes; oxidizing, reducing, neutral and purifying. Depending on the matrix of ore or metal you are dealing with, determines the proper flux required to separate the gangue from the final metal.

You said the ore leaching is completed, and you are now ready to smelt. What minerals/metals are remaining (i.e. silica, feldspar, iron, nickel, cobalt), and how large of a charge are you trying to smelt at one time?

The normal procedure for handling Pt cons, sweeps and jewelry (unless you have a very high-temp furnace), is by wet chemistry. Any flux you use that contains lead as a collector, will require several additional steps to separate the lead and any other base or precious metal from the Pt by wet chemistry anyway.

I think that before you crank the old furnace up to 3200+ degrees for a Pt melting procedure, you might want to check out some easier wet chemistry procedures first. But if you do have a high-temp furnace on hand and want to try a general melting flux (a shot in the dark), then this one should work; (parts by volume) one part Pt ore, 5 parts soda ash, 4 parts calcined borax, and 2 parts lead-free flint glass. Without knowing the complete matrix condition of your ore, these flux results would be questionable.

Let me know what your next step, and I?ll check on any info that I have available. Good luck.

John

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
check out the Source Forge in Hard Rock.. as for Flux.. none needed but i do use Ash (hard wood Ash) to absorb the other contaminates. make your crucible out of Bone ash (home depot) then cover your product with Hard wood ash (if you have a large amount) otherwise,, well itll melt together as soon as you can get it Super HOT! GL and have fun!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...-forge-melts-my-1-2-thick-steel-crucible.html

Crilazo

May 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have platinum

I have 350grams of platinum and I was wondering if someone would want to smelt this platinum and offer me a price to do it. Please serious inquires only I am very serious and need it done here's my number 469-831-6426. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions