Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like it passed the test, but I really have no knowledge about how those tests work.

If it were mine, I'd take it to a jeweler to get a confirmation. As for value...got no idea. No matter what, it's a cool find! :occasion14:

DonaldTrump

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2023
Hey everyone,

I think I may have found a platinum nugget. It passes all the tests. Can anyone verify that my tests are accurate, and how much it would be worth?

Thanks

May I ask where you found it. A general location will suffice. Platinum nuggets are extremely rare and are only found in certain places.

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s really cool! I’m definitely not an expert but looks like you got platinum to me. I think I found a couple of suspicious mysteries before but I havnt tested. Yours looks to be heavier than half a gram. Did you weigh it? I think someone with a XRF can confirm the material for you. For some reason platinum is less valuable than gold and a whole lot more rare. Current price is around $896 OZT. Less than half of the gold price. I think someone would pay way more for an actual nugget though. It has to have some collector value. Keeper!

OP
OP
S

SCUFFLES

Apr 27, 2019
Quebec Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s really cool! I’m definitely not an expert but looks like you got platinum to me. I think I found a couple of suspicious mysteries before but I havnt tested. Yours looks to be heavier than half a gram. Did you weigh it? I think someone with a XRF can confirm the material for you. For some reason platinum is less valuable than gold and a whole lot more rare. Current price is around $896 OZT. Less than half of the gold price. I think someone would pay way more for an actual nugget though. It has to have some collector value. Keeper!
I don’t have a scale to weigh it, so I’m just guessing.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
I have seen several platinum nuggets. Yours would be on the chunkier of sides. Here in Northern California they are usually flat and thin.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another test is the following.

The specific gravity of a material is the ratio of its weight to the weight of an equal volume of water. The specific gravity of pure platinum is 21.40, which means it is 21.4 times heavier than water.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A story I read about here in Northern Central BC, Canada.
Earlier Gold Miners would find Platinum Nuggets and discard them into Tobacco Cans as worthless.
Today, to their pleasure, some Metal Detectors would locate these cans within old log homesteads.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Earlier Gold Miners would find Platinum Nuggets and discard them into Tobacco Cans as worthless.
Today, to their pleasure, some Metal Detectors would locate these cans within old log homesteads.
Yes we hunted for years, 3-5 family members.

1 piece of gold strip.
Hunted ghost towns, gold bearing rivers/streams.

Still think of those cans from time to time, 50 yrs later.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
funny ,you just cant walk by one of those tins with looking in side ,because they were uses for allot of things

DonaldTrump

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2023
funny ,you just cant walk by one of those tins with looking in side ,because they were uses for allot of things

Do a streak test.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread