California City, California, Mojave desert
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polish_20200409_205653776.jpg
Polish_20200409_205822330.jpg
All Found in Mojave desert, California near Palmdale, Ca
They were black to begin with. After cleaning they sometimes look gold & sometimes looks silver depending on the way you hold them & the light in the room
Small stones:
These nuggets were found on a very magnetic rock but they are not magnetic
They were easily broken off The Rock. I just tapped on them and they came off. They were covered in a black charcoal like soot.
Streak test on the back of a piece of tile is grey
The weight of both stones were weighted together:
31 millimeters, 5 centimeters, 7.26 grams per cubic centimeter
Large stone:
Is not magnetic
Was covered in a black charcoal like soot
632.7 grams, 88 cubic centimeters, 7.19 grams per cubic centimeter

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crush a small one and pan it out, you'll know immediately if it's a metal or pyrite, platinum nugget will smash flat due to it being a dense metal and pyrite playing the fool will crush into a million pieces.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaxson

Greenie
Apr 5, 2020
California City, California, Mojave desert
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for your information. I tried what you said and hit it multiple times with a hammer it did not crush into pieces. It didn't break at all. There was a small hairline crack so I hit it several more times on that spot and it still did not break.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even a diamond will break if you hit it hard enough with a hammer, if it were platinum which is a dense metal it would start to smash, like if you were to hit an old led bullet you dig up with a hammer it would smash, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if you're dealing with metal or a rock. Check out a streak tests and watch a YouTube video on specific gravity test, also hardness testing to, I'm not an expert myself, I've learned from people on here, watching videos also and some reading.
Good luck hunting out there and take care,
Steve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread