platte river neare littleton

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wondering if anyone has done any work on the platte near littleton i ran a few test pans before dark tonight and came up empty, i should note that i am very new to this and may have gone a bit fast.
i know of a friend that has done some panning closer to denver on the platte and has had some color to show for it but i live a bit further out and was hoping someone could chime in with a spot of advise

Thanks
PIP

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russ is right...the gold is there but you have to get below the blonde sand (that has washed into the river from the roads in winter) to the layer that is mixed sand and cobble stones. Dig!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold miners make the bedrock--always start there as cracks,crevices and obstructions have done the hard work for you and just reap the rewards. Crevice tools,screwdrivers,chisels,hanger wire ANYTHING to get in there!!John

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing you might want to look out for, I know on Clear Creek in Denver and surrounding cities, you can only work what falls into the stream bed. The Platte River might be the same, just don't do a lot of major escavating.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good point - only dig in wet zone, stay away from banks,, no gas powered gear (most places), fill holes, be friendly to other open spec users, etc...and pack out any trash you find!

Also keep your eyes open for orangey colored petrified wood, white/gray fossils, agate and such. Lots of small garnet in the South Platte too!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oops...open spec should be open space!

OP
OP
Pipster

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest: