Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Tnet Friends! :hello:

Decided to knock off work a bit early today to try and get in a couple of hours of hunting. I knew I wouldn't be doing any hunting this weekend as my wife wants me to sand and re-stain to back deck! :'( Thought I'd head to an old school in my area that I knew was built in the late 19th century. When I got there I found the playground area surrounded by an orange construction fence . . . as if that was going to stop me! :laughing7: All the equipment had been removed, as well as, about 6" of topsoil. Now I knew this playground wasn't that old, but I still held out hope of finding a few keepers! :thumbsup:

After a two hour, I ended up finding about $4 in modern pocket change, a 1944 CDN Penny and a very cool button. :icon_thumright: Does anybody have any idea of the age or origin of this button? :dontknow:

There was quite a bit of US pocket change here too! :icon_scratch: Love the look of the 2011 US Quarter I found! :notworthy:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone!
Dave

History - Thornton School

Located halfway between Whitby and Oshawa, the school and surrounding community was named for Dr. Robert Hill Thornton. Dr. Thornton was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1806. He was ordained minister and sent to preach in Canada in 1833. Rev. Thornton was well known as a missionary from Toronto to Cobourg. When he agreed to serve as minister to the Scottish settlers in East Whitby, he became the first Presbyterian minister in the area. Robert H. Thornton was 63 years old at the time of an 1871 census. He and his wife Margaret had three children: Margaret, Josephine and Ebenezer. On December 20, 1880, the trustees of Whitby School Section No. 5 obtained ownership of a one acre parcel on which this school was built.

The school at Thornton’s corners was originally one large room with a smaller room at the rear. Mr. Sowerby was the first teacher of Union School #5. The original blackboards were wooden, the first desks double, the floor rough wood. The building was heated by woodstove, which according to local legend was also used to bake potatoes for the student’s lunches. In 1901, a partition was added to divide the main space and a furnace was installed in the south room. In the 1920’s, the cellar was excavated and the furnace moved.

The school building was not comfortable for the students. School Inspector R. A. Hutchinson wrote in 1928, “There is no ventilation provided for the school and with all the windows closed, the air in the room becomes very bad. Canvas screens for two windows would help”. Two years later came another complaint. “The old toilets are dirty and filled with snow. They are unfit for use and better conditions must be provided. The only way to remedy the many defects of your school is to build a new one…”. While the building may not have earned high marks in the school inspector’s eyes, the teachers did. Annual reports were filled with praise for the teacher and her pupils.

During its school days, Thornton School was the focus for community activities. Young and old enjoyed the plays, euchre parties, box socials, hay and sleigh rides, square dances, and strawberry socials. In 1954, Thornton School closed. Designated the Thornton Community Center in 1956, and later the Thornton-Dundee Community Center, the building continues to serve the community.

Attachments

• Thornton School 01.jpg
    Thornton School 01.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 968
  • Lilly 008.jpg
    Lilly 008.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 957
  • July 8 006.jpg
    July 8 006.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 954
  • July 8 005.jpg
    July 8 005.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 955
  • July 8 004.jpg
    July 8 004.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 959
  • July 8 002.jpg
    July 8 002.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 972
  • July 8 001.jpg
    July 8 001.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 969
  • Thornton School 03.jpg
    Thornton School 03.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 966
  • Thornton School 02.jpg
    Thornton School 02.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 970
Upvote 0

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Dave ! :hello:
Very nice site and cool button of Army .... :thumbsup:
H

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,
I can see why you would want to detect that place. What a great looking old school.
Isn't an anchor button Navy? :icon_scratch:
Nice looking button no matter what it is.
Congrats,
Doug

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds and an excellent site...but I think your anchor button is a modern civilian blazer button. The rusted iron back is usually a good indication of this.

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice navy button, and cool looking school, in my area there are quite a few old school houses, most of them are now privately owned and have been converted into homes. here is a photo of one i hope to go to soon.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 718

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Confusing the word Army of Marine :D ... the buttons of this kind in my country lead a crown over the anchor, but as Canada is a Republic, who knows..... those pics of your city seems to be in old Europe. :o
H

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Place to hunt!
I saw that button while looking for one of my own this morning :icon_scratch:
I think British Marines, early 19th century.
repro or not, cool find :wink:
Keep those digs comin :hello2:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HISPAN said:
Hi Dave ! :hello:
Very nice site and cool button of Army .... :thumbsup:
H

Thanks H! :icon_thumright:
Hope to find out what it is someday!

Dave

treasurepirate1 said:
very nice navy button, and cool looking school, in my area there are quite a few old school houses, most of them are now privately owned and have been converted into homes. here is a photo of one i hope to go to soon.

Thanks for your post treasurepirate1!
That "old school" looks promising! :icon_thumright:

Best of luck to you man!
Dave

romeo-1 said:
Cool finds and an excellent site...but I think your anchor button is a modern civilian blazer button. The rusted iron back is usually a good indication of this.

I'm sure your right romeo-1, I'm still pretty green when it comes to "button" finds! :laughing7:
Thanks for your post! :thumbsup:

Dave

ModernMiner said:
Dave,
I can see why you would want to detect that place. What a great looking old school.
Isn't an anchor button Navy? :icon_scratch:
Nice looking button no matter what it is.
Congrats,
Doug

Hey Doug! :hello:
It's certainly been one of my most favourite buildings to look at over the years.
Hope you're getting out these days! :thumbsup:
Dave

steelheadwill said:
Nice Place to hunt!
I saw that button while looking for one of my own this morning :icon_scratch:
I think British Marines, early 19th century.
repro or not, cool find :wink:
Keep those digs comin :hello2:

I sure would love it to be "British Marines, early 19th century" Herbie! :o
But, I think romeo-1 is probably right when he says, "I think your anchor button is a modern civilian blazer button."

Take care man,
Dave

Dadsnorz

Dec 15, 2010
Gotta love it when they do some scrapin' at an old site...some of my best finds have been on the heels of a backhoe!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
allen said:
I cant get one of the Gettysburg quarters in change here,
and you are finding one up in Canada, how is that? :laughing7:
Great looking finds and hope you get some silver or gold !

How about I send you that one in exchange for a "moose" quarter? :laughing7:
After all, the CDN quarter is now worth .27 cents to your US quarter! :D

Thanks for your post Allen,
Dave

Dadsnorz said:
Gotta love it when they do some scrapin' at an old site...some of my best finds have been on the heels of a backhoe!

These are the little things we learn along the way when keep our eyes open eh Dad! :laughing7:

Happy Hunting to you!
Dave

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread