PLEASE FEED YOUR SQUARRELS!

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Me and my family went for a day on the lake from Charleston WV to Sutton lake WV. On the highway we counted 130 dead squirrels 5 live ones too. I have been putting out feed ever since then which was a week ago. So please if you have squirrels in any area feed them shelled corn, peanuts, chips, anything you can find.. i will be robbing a field here soon, lol. But it's an Ohio field that me and my father are surveying on and whatever they leave behind is welcomed to be picked up i suppose. :icon_scratch: Not completely sure if the guy he talk to was speaking the truth but he said that he's seen people put feeders on trees around the farm and shell the left behind corn for deer and squirrels..

SO HELP ARE LITTLE FRIENDS! :help:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
don't tell monty --he hates em --they have screwed up his cable tv / internet and phone cable 3 times and got into his engine and chewed up wiring costing $340 bucks !!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
It's a lesson in life and natural selection , Daniel . We had a couple of good mast years and easy winters and squirrels propagated well . Most survived the winter months .
This year we are suffering drouth and a very poor mast crop . That's why the treerats are on the ground and getting run over .... they are looking for food that isn't there .
If you are prepared to provide some with an ecological niche and be their caregiver every day for an entire winter season that is fine ... That's what I'm doing with my resident breeding group .
Otherwise allow them their own destiny . Throwing them a scrap now and then just prolongs their agony .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if you tame em you gotta keep feeding em --as they will become dependant upon you -- and beware they gotta chew chew chew all the time to keep their teeth worn down-- and they will.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deadsquirrel.jpg

http://www.deadsquirrel.com/

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tree rats don't need any help with food, they just need help crossing the road. ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Feed them and they won't do that..

ivan salis said:
don't tell monty --he hates em --they have screwed up his cable tv / internet and phone cable 3 times and got into his engine and chewed up wiring costing $340 bucks !!

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Interesting, I'm feeding the deer in the winder and the squirrels in mid fall. Really the deer are fine but theres a bunch of baby's that need to be fattened up for hunt-in season..

truckinbutch said:
It's a lesson in life and natural selection , Daniel . We had a couple of good mast years and easy winters and squirrels propagated well . Most survived the winter months .
This year we are suffering drouth and a very poor mast crop . That's why the treerats are on the ground and getting run over .... they are looking for food that isn't there .
If you are prepared to provide some with an ecological niche and be their caregiver every day for an entire winter season that is fine ... That's what I'm doing with my resident breeding group .
Otherwise allow them their own destiny . Throwing them a scrap now and then just prolongs their agony .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
no matter how much you feed squirrels (correct spelling of em) no "A"--- there still rodents (rats that like to live in trees with bushy tails ) and rodents teeth grow non stop 24 / 7 / 365 since they crack nuts and eat seeds and such their teeth have to grow like that or they would wear out due to their type of diet * the bad thing is it means they must chew on stuff non stop to keep them from over growing and harming them --- sadly this and eating folks gardens ,and raiding birdfeeders is what makes lots of folks hate em --- some folks really love em ( cooked ) --- then their are a few people that actually like squirrels.

S

Smee

Every day . . . Each one I see gets fed "intraveinously" one piece of grain from a .22 short . . . little buggers got under my house and started tearing out the insulation. There are no nuts there.

Squirrel: Rat with a good PR agent.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Just had to read this thread......We recently had a nest of them in our attic, they had chewed thru the guttering pipe....the roof fachia board......the roofing felt........made themselves quite at home. But "jings" they cost us alot of money for pest control and new roofing stuff, and the labour... Sorry I won't be feeding them, and we are in a City, not in the countryside. They have been responsible for killing most of our native red squirrels off here in the UK.

S

stefen

There is a famous saying amoungst U. S. Forest Rangers, State & Federal Game Wardens, and of course, hunters that a "fed bear is a dead bear"...

Now apply this to any other naturally wild animal..."a fed animal is a dead animal"...

Once domesticated, they turn from an animal foraging for its food in its natural habitat to a animal totally dependent upon a human...

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
The squirrels around here seem to get lead poisoning :dontknow:!
Stefen, you are exactly right, as usual. Too many people that think they are doing good things for animals, actually help contribute to an early demise.... Gpurs...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if you feed them --long term you will cause them to b ecome "welfare cases" unable to fend for themselves in time. --you feed em , you wind up owning em and thus are then locked into caring for em long term --

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
ivan salis said:
if you feed them --long term you will cause them to b ecome "welfare cases" unable to fend for themselves in time. --you feed em , you wind up owning em and thus are then locked into caring for em long term --

Ivan, we are discussing squirrels here, not the inhabitants of New Orleans.......Gpurs....

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
GPURS said:
ivan salis said:

Ivan, we are discussing squirrels here, not the inhabitants of New Orleans.......Gpurs....

:laughing7:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPURS said:

Now that was funny ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread