Please help a new MDer

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Re: Please help a new MD'er

It will explain it in most every owners Manual with a picture.

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005

Would suggest using a smaller coil at private homes or any place where turf damage is a concern until you become more skilled at pinpointing the larger coil. Practice is the only way to learn where your coil pinpoints and with multiple targets under a bigger coil it can be difficult at times. HH Bill

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is there a pinpiont function? (also, a pinpionter would be a good idiea to)

HH
-GC

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

Crapshooter, you might get more of a response if you mention what kind of detector you are using. Also in your subject line if you ask for help with detector X (X being your machine), folks with who use a detector like yours will look faster to see if they can offer assistance.

OP
OP
C

crapshooter

Jan 18, 2007

Sorry about that..It's an Ace 250 that I'm using. Yes, it has pinpointer but even using that is it the center of the coil?

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

An Ace250s pinpointer gives you the strongest signal at the center of the coil...I have found that digging about a four inch plug is very sufficient using the stock coil and gives you room enough not to destroy your target with your digging tool.
~Nash~

T

treasurejack

I taught my 2 sons to do it this way until they got use to how things work, I call it "the 90 degree cross." Once you hit a signal keep swinging your coil back and forth as you move it further away and then closer to your body again, mark the spot on the ground where the signal is strongest. (always use small sweeps) Now move to a position 90 degrees from the spot you marked and repeat this process over your target again. This last "strongest" signal should get you pretty darn close to being right over the top of it. Just think of trying to make an "X" over the target and you'll grasp the whole concept rather quickly. After a while you won't have to do the 90 degree thing anymore. Hope this helps.

PS: Practice makes perfect, so locate a "clean" area in your yard and drop a few different items in that area so you can practice not only your pinpointing skills, but you'll also be learning how to better interpret the signals your detector is giving you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread