deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with jr...that bottom house is almost identical to a whole street of houses by me that were built early 1800's. Old company houses.

Al

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well its pretty easy to tell which house has 5 rooms and which one only has 3. I doubt if either one of them is completely original though. I am kinda curious why you are asking? Are you planning on buying them or just trying to get permission to hunt there.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
Well its pretty easy to tell which house has 5 rooms and which one only has 3. I doubt if either one of them is completely original though. I am kinda curious why you are asking? Are you planning on buying them or just trying to get permission to hunt there.

Planning on Trying for Permission.

The Owner does not Live there
So they are either Empty or Rentals.

Just Curious in advance as to which property
would be the oldest.

Like the others the 3 Story looks older

But the 2 Story looks Smaller
which is Confusing me.

Not to Memtion the Bottom one
looks more like it could have an "Effective Age: 1980"
more then the 3 story does.

Making me think the Top one is Smaller then it looks
& Has one room each Floor

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I was looking at the chiminy on the smaller house. Looks like they might have built it or remodeled around an old fireplace. ???

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I think I need to bring my detector over and hunt both sites :wink: Then I can have a better idea of the age.
On the other hand, it’s kind of hard to see the foundations from the photos. I like the back door setup on the first photo. The second one has been remodeled. The chimney cap looks more modern.
What’s behind the house in the second photo?

Of course I only lived up north for about 13 years and all the houses here in Florida are built on Coquina rock or cypress stumps. But I did a lot of back woods hunting up north. It was a blast.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The addition to the lower house and the lack of side windows makes it my favorite for the older one of the two. The walls or at least the sills on the top house make it look later.

A few houses like the lower, when peeled back for siding have turned out to be log cabins in some places I've seen and their original size was more in line with the lower house than the upper.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Lower house is the oldest... then, eventually they build the top one and lived it - like they always planned to do. They rented or let family live in the smaller older house...

P

pippinwhitepaws

the brick work on the large home appears to be older than the small home...
the small house looks like it was a carriage house... that was modified.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
without using the dates, since they are part of the same acreage. I would say the one without paint is the older.
here's why. the 3 story would likely be built first, for the family to live in. then later, the smaller one was built to house the hired help. I would look around both if you can get permission

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
Jeff

The reason that the 2nd house looks so much smaller is because
it has a huge basement that was counted in the square feet.

just a thought,

Cachefinder-

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are houses this old still standing? Mine is only 10 years old and already had termite problems. I never see a house that old, in Oklahoma they tear them down and build some useless retail store.

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
Beans said:
How are houses this old still standing?  Mine is only 10 years old and already had termite problems.  I never see a house that old, in Oklahoma they tear them down and build some useless retail store.

Up until about 60 years ago --people had this this called "Pride in Workmanship"--built things that last
now-a-days homes are just chicken wire and stucco--only built to last maybe 25yrs

shame on us!

Cachefinder-

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The house that has the smallest foundation is the oldest. This house would have been rented out after they built their "Dream House".

Check out the foundations. The newer house will have more care taken in the cutting and laying of the stones.

Just my humble opinion. 8)

Eddie08

Jul 23, 2008
The bottom house is the oldest, the windows are 6 panes of glass per window while the top house has only 4 panes per window. Smaller window panes were common in the late 1700's because large pieces of glass were way more expensive and harder to come by.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Yep, I'd agree the lower picture is the older house. That was probable built and lived in until the family outgrew it and then they built the larger home.

Greg

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to play devil's advocate here...

It's hard to know. The original log structure may be enclosed in either of those houses, and the chimney re-bricked. OR, the original structures might not be either of those spots. Or the houses built later on the original sites.

I would get a topographic map of the area. Look for springs and water sources, and go from there. Find the old roads on the DeBeer's maps and see if either of the houses is near an old road.

What a site looks like visually is not always an indicator of its age. And you don't want to miss your early homesteads by only hunting more modern yards and then moving on!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread