PLEASE HELP! Do you think this cob is real????

treasurehuntr2

May 21, 2006
san francisco, ca.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Hello.... Well I just haven't had any luck in my neck of the woods in finding out whether or not this is a real coin or if could be fake. Anyone out there tell from these two pictures. The metal feels like it could be gold, but then it sort of seems too light. If by a lucky star it is real what would be it's value??? Thanks to any and all who weigh in...Th2.

Attachments

• IMG_3200.JPG
    IMG_3200.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_3200.JPG
    IMG_3200.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 670

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ok first off --see the tic tac toe type of pattern? well that a certain pattern time frame of coin-- it can tell you things by whats in the pattern

top in middle is the number 1 --its the value--- if gold its 1 escudo --if silver 1 reale
bottom row mide is the date last 2 digits 40 --as in 1640

OP
OP
treasurehuntr2

treasurehuntr2

May 21, 2006
san francisco, ca.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Thanks Ivan...would it be of any help to know the weight? I do know that. It is 26.9 grams. As you can see though the coin does not look the color of the gold I see in most all of the pictures I see of these cobs. It looks and feels like a polished modern era piece of gold. Does that mean it could be a fake, or is it possible to have been rubbed down to this look over the years? Much thanks again....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
coins from that era are commonly heavily worn --if a 1 reale --it was like a modern dollar bill a much used coin of the day that changed hands quite often --spanish money was heavily used in the americas due to a shortage of british / and later on american money -- spanish money was legal tender money until congress "offically" banned its use in 1857 ---and was quite commonly used till about 1840 when the USA finally started getting enough of its own money for the public to use all the time.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
so its about the weight of a shaved or heavily worn 8 reale piece at 26.9 grams ( normal wieght was 27.468 -- so its about 1/2 a gram shy (.568 of a gram) but marked as a 1 --that is quite odd

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
It is definitely a reproduction/fantasy piece/fake or whatever you want to call it. It isn't even close to having the right features. Sorry....

Stan

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I agree. Cross is on same side as castles and lions, and the other side, I never saw anything resembling that. Sure seems to be some kind of a fake, could be contemporary or modern fake.

OP
OP
treasurehuntr2

treasurehuntr2

May 21, 2006
san francisco, ca.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Well, thanks to all who responded to my question. As much as I would have loved
a different outcome, I think all things considered , I'm going to have to accept this and move on. On the upside I guess I'm pretty thankful I did not purchase it for some big price and get it home to find out .... Th2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread