• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 264

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
wildcatman71 said:
I found this is the field we arrowhead hunt in yesterday. It is pretty neat....the pics dont show it but it has tiny sparkles in it too. Kinda looks like a spiderweb in it. Is it a fossil? :icon_scratch: Or just some sort of geofact?? Thanks for looking.....
It appears to be a fragment of a colonial coral. Sometimes these living chambers fill in solid, sometimes they get lined with drusy quartz. The coral lived somewhere between 350 and 400+ million years ago.

OP
OP
wildcatman71

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
Harry Pristis said:
wildcatman71 said:
I found this is the field we arrowhead hunt in yesterday. It is pretty neat....the pics dont show it but it has tiny sparkles in it too. Kinda looks like a spiderweb in it. Is it a fossil? :icon_scratch: Or just some sort of geofact?? Thanks for looking.....
It appears to be a fragment of a colonial coral. Sometimes these living chambers fill in solid, sometimes they get lined with drusy quartz. The coral lived somewhere between 350 and 400+ million years ago.

Cool, thanks. I find a lot of crinoids and stuff like that...but this is a first. Is this a hard to find item? Is it collector worthy? thanks!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Corals are fairly common finds in southern Indiana. They are often battered by the stream that eroded them from the limestone. If that is your only example, keep it until you find a better specimen.

Here's one I collected, probably near Richmond, Indiana, when I lived up that way. I kept it because it was an interesting longitudinal section of the coral head. It has some glitter in the chambers.

corallongsection.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread