Larry336

Sep 27, 2018
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Max - Primary
Ace 350 - Back up
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Near Lexington NC, Abbotts Creek, Stories of a union camp, buried gold, etc. I went to this location and found this... looks like it could be slave shackles or part of.... 20180928_202011.jpg

Upvote 2

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be from a lot of things hard to tell!!!!!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Larry336...might want to put an item of standard measure (a US quarter, etc) in the picture to help with educated guesses...there are some pretty wise folks here that have just about seen everything that comes out of the ground, and it might help those folks to determine the scale.

Regardless, an interesting find. Hope it turns out to be from the "Northern Aggressors"....whatever it is!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an animal trap chain and ring...I'm guessing...But I'd almost bet on it! Well? I wouldn't bet too much. :laughing7:

added...My grandfather had traps hanging in his barn from back in the days when his Dad trapped. All different sizes. And when I saw the pic when I opened the thread That was my first thought. I then read your post after I posted what I wrote above. So, I may be way off. But it sure looks like it. About the right length too. And if you found close to a creek?

Last edited:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an animal trap chain and ring...I'm guessing...But I'd almost bet on it! Well? I wouldn't bet too much. :laughing7:

added...My grandfather had traps hanging in his barn from back in the days when his Dad trapped. All different sizes. And when I saw the pic when I opened the thread That was my first thought. I then read your post after I posted what I wrote above. So, I may be way off. But it sure looks like it. About the right length too. And if you found close to a creek?
My first thought too, Nitric! But as they said above, can't tell scale.............
Welcome aboard, Larry 336!

Iowa Dale

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought too, Nitric! But as they said above, can't tell scale.............
Welcome aboard, Larry 336!

Iowa Dale

I was just going off of "slave shackles" in his post. just kind of guessing on size. But your right..There is no way to know. it could be someones piece of dog chain too! :laughing7:

I had a dog that would wear through them and break them. it could be anything too...

Last edited:

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there used to be small chains somewhat like that on grain drills that drug on the ground to cover the seed. Sometimes a piece of chain is just a piece of chain and that's all you can say. The old timers were masters at repurposing parts and could have been used several times for different purposes. Some trap chains had special features that distinguished them and this is not showing any of these. I think you found a nice piece of old chain.

OP
OP
L

Larry336

Sep 27, 2018
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Max - Primary
Ace 350 - Back up
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
im pretty sure Villagenut is right. Even though i searched, and found some resemblance to a type of slave shackle, its more probable to believe this is part of a trace chain...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a piece of an old dog or trap chain to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread