Please help identify this rock

jp9301

Jun 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on my parents farm in Tennessee years ago. We've always wondered what it was. Does anyone know? image.jpg image.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
No, jp9301, you are tasked with help of ID of rock. It's worth the effort. Find out how to make a scratch test, a hardness test, a weight test comparison.
If I sound testy, it's because no one wants to do the work that we here do always. Every day without any formation except a usually blurry picture. You also need to to bit in bit of work.

So before you take exception to my testyness, study your rock and do a bit of testing. Tell us what you've learned and see if someone here can help.
Some of these people work hard on ID's with little information other than a blurry picture.
The good news is if you work with this rock, you will learn a bundle. Then there is the next rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jp9301

Jun 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I see your point! I've done some minor searching on the net with no luck except for finding this site. I just figured someone could look at it and say that's .......

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must understand, new minerals are found almost every day on the earth. All you have to do is watch Mindat (a website) and see what gets discovered every week... even an expert can be baffled! So, in best practice, a scratch test, hardness test, and at times a specific gravity test is needed, which, because you have the rock, you are really the only one who can do, or have done (possibly at a university or a rock shop), these tests. Once you have the info from these things, it will definitely help someone I D your stone, as just looking at it, most of us are unable to tell right off the bat what it is. Hope this helps?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jp9301

Jun 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm more curious than ever! Thanks for the responses

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Indeed, with over 4,200 minerals known to man, just looking at a picture and saying "that's.." is at best a qualified guess. :)

Now, that rock to me has a "sedimentary" look to it.

So here's the tests you should do:
1. Hardness test - Will a knife scratch it? - Will Quartz scratch it? (check under magnification!)
2. Acid test - Will vinegar bubble and fizzle if you put a drop on there? (Rinse in water after the test!)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread