Please help identifying this doubling (PIC)

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hey guys, So tonight, I was looking through some of my halves and I found a 66 that has some doubling on pretty much every word on the back of the coin (words around the edges anyway). At first I thought, cool, I found a doubled die. Then I found two more in five minutes. Can anyone tell me what this is, and if there is anything special about it? Are these worth more than the typical silver weight?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Attachments

• 66 doubling.jpg
    66 doubling.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 0

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's machine doubling, which is not the valuable kind (it has the same value as any other circulated 1966 half.) There are several things that can cause it, but it basically comes down to the coining machine being a bit out of tune when the coin is struck. When I first started roll hunting I saw this kind of doubling on the front of Lincoln's face on a 1964 penny and got excited, but then calmed down after I saw it on the next several I looked at.

The valuable form is known as a doubled die or hub doubling. That's where the doubling actually occurs when the die is made and is reproduced on all the coins struck by that particular die.

There are a couple ways to tell them apart. This page is a good reference.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell, but you are able to pick it out after a little practice. Here are some pictures so you can see side-by-side from that page.

Machine doubling:
1968S1cStrikeDbl.jpg

Die deterioration doubling (a worn out die, also not valuable):
1993P25cDDD.jpg

Real hub doubling:
1974D50cV001.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread