Please help me identify these rocks . .

Ark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

We recently bought a piece of farm land , in the beautiful hills of the Sahyadri range of mountains in western India. About 100 km from Mumbai.

While levelling the land with a JCB, we picked up some intresting rocks. Couldn’t haul the larger ones in our car, but managed to pick a few of the smaller ones. Our land seems to be littered with round rocks, which I presume are amethyst rocks. . .

Have attached a few pictures,,, would sincerely appreciate if you could help me identify these ….. There might just be a hobby as a bonus with the land my wife & I wish to retire on !
View attachment 649254
View attachment 649255 DSCF1623.JPG DSCF1594.JPG DSCF1596.JPG DSCF1622.JPG DSCF1587.JPG DSCF1598.JPG

Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting...I'd suggest getting a book on the geology of the region...I think it'll be real worthwhile.

OP
OP
A

Ark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you curbdiggercarJ57. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
A

Ark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is they are agates. Agate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beautiful rocks by the way. I think some of the larger ones could be sold as is or cleaned, polished or cut and sold.

Thank you MrLee ! Have no clue about cutting or polishing them...will need to get an education double quick time :) . There's a couple more we found, am posting pictures below.

OP
OP
A

Ark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting...I'd suggest getting a book on the geology of the region...I think it'll be real worthwhile.

I could look for a book relevant to this region, not too sure if I can get one. I will try ! Thank you for your advise.

OP
OP
A

Ark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more pictures,,,please help me identify them,,and any advise you can share. Also, suggestion on a tumbler please ???

Sorry for being a total novice
DSCF1787X.jpg DSCF1761.jpg DSCF1763.jpg DSCF1786.jpg DSCF1790.jpg DSCF1793.jpg

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Ark. You probably won't retire from these, unless you find some large ones with brilliant patterns. Isn't geology fascinating?

As for cutting, a tile saw will work. Then polish. Not too difficult. My rock tumbler takes a month to polish!

Keep digging and posting. You may find a buyer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread