Please HELP me make the right decision here.

mycabellfamily

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Racine,WI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which would be a better unit for the price?
May someone please help me here:

Ace 150-waterproof coil (little dirty but nothing that can't be cleaned) $100-$110

or

MPX Digital-10" Coil (Works perfectly fine with the exception being the pinpoint function no longer working) $100-$110

I know the Ace 150 doesn't come with a pinpoint function which makes me lean more towards the MPX digital but if there is someone who is knowledgeable on both units please let me know what your opinion would be. Don't have much to spend and I think that one of these two would be much better used if they work well then buying a cheap bounty hunter brand new.Help would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cough up $50 more and you can have a brand new Tesoro Compadre with a lifetime warranty. Plus its a better machine.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
avoid the mpx like the plauge...recently got one bogo with an at pro...had to send it back next day.horrible construction.only one video on youtube for mpx(it will crack you up).I recomend an extra few bucks and get a fisher f2

OP
OP
M

mycabellfamily

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Racine,WI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the assistance.
I got a deal from a nearby MD'er for An Garrett Ace 250 @ $130. Good deal.
Ace 250 is the machine that I had last which I did like but had to get rid of a little over a year ago. I have experience with it and know how to work it well so I'm very pleased with that. Should have it sunday afternoon.
Can't wait to dig these frozen grounds in Wisconsin. Can't wait even more for spring time to MD and get to diggin bottles.
Thank you all again.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the assistance.
I got a deal from a nearby MD'er for An Garrett Ace 250 @ $130. Good deal.
Ace 250 is the machine that I had last which I did like but had to get rid of a little over a year ago. I have experience with it and know how to work it well so I'm very pleased with that. Should have it sunday afternoon.
Can't wait to dig these frozen grounds in Wisconsin. Can't wait even more for spring time to MD and get to diggin bottles.
Thank you all again.

Yes you can't go wrong getting something your familiar with. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

mycabellfamily

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Racine,WI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my parade has been rained on. My anticipation has proven vain. The seller of the Ace 250 has backed out on me at the last sec and I am found wanting.

I'll post an update as soon as I get another lead.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well my parade has been rained on. My anticipation has proven vain. The seller of the Ace 250 has backed out on me at the last sec and I am found wanting.

I'll post an update as soon as I get another lead.

Could be a good thing. Compared to the Compadre, the Ace 250 is junk.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Compared to the Compadre, the Ace 250 is junk.
One mans' solid is another man's junk. The Ace 250 is a solid machine with TID. Very basic, but solid. It was the first machine I bought and learned on. Never used a Compadre, but I've heard good things, it is Tesoro's basic model. I do know that if bought used and still under warranty, Garrett will repair the Ace free, no questions asked. Tesoro won't, the warranty dies after the first owner.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Consider:

quick-draw-pro-faceplate.jpg

A 9" deep 7.8khz, numeric display, fast recovery rate QDP with a 10" elliptical concentric coil. At $153, nothing I have seen in that price can touch it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One mans' solid is another man's junk. The Ace 250 is a solid machine with TID. Very basic, but solid. It was the first machine I bought and learned on. Never used a Compadre, but I've heard good things.

I have used both. Compadre blows the Garrett away.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I believe the Garrett Ace 250 is a good entry level machine. As "FreeBirdTim" stated you can find some great things with the Ace 250. But a new machine from one of the forum dealers. Another good machine may be the Garrett AT Pro easy to learn and you can grow with the machine. The machine always has performed well for me, but with any detector, knowing the machine is the key to any machines.

Good luck in your search!

Regards,

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

mycabellfamily

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Racine,WI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allright I ended up purchasing the Tesoro Compadre from Steve Fort Bedford Detectors, excellent service by the way, highly recommended . Should be here today. Don't think I can go wrong with that unit. Not bold enough to claim it to be better than another but I believe that it is a solid machine that will serve me well. LifeTime War. a plus.

Thanks to everyone for your help

P.S. I would love to see a review and field test for the BH Quick Draw Pro, seems to be a determined competitor.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allright I ended up purchasing the Tesoro Compadre from Steve Fort Bedford Detectors, excellent service by the way, highly recommended . Should be here today. Don't think I can go wrong with that unit. Not bold enough to claim it to be better than another but I believe that it is a solid machine that will serve me well. LifeTime War. a plus.

Thanks to everyone for your help

P.S. I would love to see a review and field test for the BH Quick Draw Pro, seems to be a determined competitor.

You will be happy with that, just wish it had a VDI as I have some trouble with tones only.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread