Please help me remove the corrosion on this Seated Quarter

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1877 seated in hardpack from where a bulldozer removed the topsoil. I am not sure what would have caused this kind of corrosion from the soil type but am open to suggestions.

First off, my goal is to remove all of the crud so i can see the remaining outline of the coins details. I know that cleaning is a no no but this coin is not something i want to sell and id like to make it look like a circulated coin for a conversation piece, saving the most detail possible.

So far the cleaning I have done is: Rinsed with water under the tap and dabbed with makeup brush. this only removed the loose dirt and left the coin as shown in the pictures below. I then let it soak in lemon juice for a total of about 10 hours with very minimal improvments. The coin looks marginally if at all clearer than in the pics. The crud on the coin seems to be on top and is a grey crust-like material. After the lemon juice soakings I have been able to move miniscule amounts of it off with a toothpick. It currently is sitting in purified water awaiting my next move. I dont know whether to continue with the lemon juice, or try something new. I wouldnt want to pit the exposed silver areas while the coin under the crud isnt eaten away.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance
seated quarter obverse.jpg seated quarter reverse.jpg

skip_a_loo

Apr 11, 2013
Newton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Up Graded to...GTP at Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
put your coin in a plastic container and soak it with Olive oil ...Every day Just shake the container...Olive Oil will NOT harm the coin !..
don't have to use a lot of Olive Oil..Over time it will help remove the gunk. here's a website you can read more on
Cleaning Coins

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending what the land was once used for,fertilizer could of eaten the coin.Sulphur compounds will eat silver.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use arm and hammer washing soda for washing clothes..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread