Please help me to identify this crystal

Leonel

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20170226_172613.jpg IMG_20170226_172630.jpg IMG_20170226_172635.jpg IMG_20170226_172657.jpg IMG_20170226_172730.jpg IMG_20170226_172832.jpg IMG_20170226_172843.jpg

I found this crystal 26 years ago, and I can not determine with certainty what it is, green - blue color, very high density and mass, the bubbles of air or a gas trapped inside , sharp edges, high transparency. Please help us to determine what type it is. There is a possibility that the emerald.

Duckyou

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where was this found ?
looks a lot like a lighting strike formed glass from the desert or a beach.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Leonel

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it in creek, no desert or send, only limestone.

Upvote 0

Duckyou

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok that makes sense it is glass not sure of its original shape but the flowing water polished it cool find regardless

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Leonel

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, and i forgot, there are few gold flaks in it.

Upvote 0

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The conchoidal fracture and trapped air bubbles are both charecteristics of glass. Have you done a hardness test on it yet? Emerald would have a hardness of 7.5-8 on the Moh's scale and glass would be 5.5 which is a very large difference and easy to test. See if it will scratch glass and then, carefully see if glass will scratch it. If yes to both then it is most likely glass because items of the same hardness will scratch each other and Emerald, or any other much harder gemstone can be ruled out.

Bill

Upvote 0

Grizzly71

Feb 26, 2017
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's glass. Wife used to work at a glass plant and when they had to do maintenance on the furnaces, they would have to break out the cooled glass. It would come out in pieces just like that. The color variation would come from the different chemicals used in the manufacturing process.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Leonel

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Area i found it, doesn`t have glass plant or any plant at all, it`s not even populated, small creek in mountain valley, limestone and quartz

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Leonel

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just done a hardness test with quartz crystal, and I cut through the quartz not damaging the surface area of "glass"

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how it got there and who put it there. I don't know what it's made of. Pm me if you.want.to know more.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Area i found it, doesn`t have glass plant or any plant at all, it`s not even populated, small creek in mountain valley, limestone and quartz

You'd be surprised where glass has been thrown out. Some even use it as decoration, grow sick of it and throw it out into the woods.
So don't let the place fool you. I've also found glass in the middle of nowhere.

Re-do the hardness test with a good amount of force.
Check under magnification for the scratch left by the quartz.
Confirm it is quartz you are using by trying to scratch a knife first, with the quartz.

I can tell with 99.99% certainty its not emerald.
They look different all together.

Upvote 0

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd have to go with glass as well... don't see any facets or evidence of crystal structure like striations and such... neat piece, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread