Garrett AT Pro & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here goes it depends on where I'm hunting. If in a real trashy area I will set the iron disc at about 27 just enough to scrim out rusty nails and run sens down 2 or 3 from full. If a coin and rusty nail are in same hole the VDI will add both of them together and not give a high tone sometimes and it depends on how your coil passes over target. Iron audio will help if you are over a iffy target with iron set to let's say 30 and you are getting a good signal and want to get a better picture of what it may be so turn on iron audio and if there is detectable iron in the target it will give the low grunt showing iron in your target. But with it on anything above number you have iron set to will sound off as a med tone. Like if you have it at 30 anything 31 to 40 will have a med tone instead of iron tone. I hope this helps. Dig everything for a while and play with your settings and you will get to know the machine and love it. Oh yea I only use pro mode. Good luck.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also would like to add in a less trashy area I run wide open pro mode zero iron set at zero and sens all the way up. Listen for the faint sounds in pro mode those are deep. I found a .22 shell at 8 inches in wet ground yesterday. I also went to a trashy home site with the 5x8 coil for about a half hour and ran pro zero iron at 27 and sens at 2 below full and found 2 wheats at 5 and 6 inches with iron trash all over the area. I just started this new site so I'm hoping to find some good relics and old coins in the future. The at pro is a great detector so don't get discouraged at first. It won't be long and you'll have the machine down and finding the old deep stuff.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Luck!! I Have just recently Decide to run Mind In Pro mode With the Iron Sounds On I have the Head phones attached This is an Experience!!! OMG When it hits A Silver signal It will Blow your Ear drums Out Lets Lift our Glass to that!!! And If you Batteries Are Fresh it Will Hit On the Small Items Even though they Are Buried In Iron Nails

Note Red will Be posting tonight It is not my best find But It was One of My longest Digs I think I Hit it When Digging With Weak batteries Harmonica reed!!!

Last edited:

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're anything like me, or helps to see instruction vs. being told. Check you these videos about detecting in iron infested áreas with the AT PRO. I wish they worked for me with the GTI 2500, because it gave me a headache today with the iron ore infested ground of San Augustine Texas! I like this guy's videos because they are informational as well as entertaining!

OP
OP
D

dmoss8928

Jul 25, 2013
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super help guys and yes it's a lot easier for me to see a video and understand it better but Kodiak explained it pretty good to...... So iron audio helps you determine if you have a good target in the hole and not some bad iron that's registering over what you got your iron disc set to?????

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super help guys and yes it's a lot easier for me to see a video and understand it better but Kodiak explained it pretty good to...... So iron audio helps you determine if you have a good target in the hole and not some bad iron that's registering over what you got your iron disc set to?????

Pretty much. A variety of different conditions can cause a trash target to sound like a desired target. Basically, when I'm swinging my AT Pro, if I locate a good target I try to swing the coil in a perpendicular pattern, basically creating and "X" if you will. If there are any inconsistencies with the sound, I will likely toss iron audio on to see if there is a low tone surrounding the high tone. If there is, I listen to it for a few swings and take a guess to whether I think it is trash or possibly a good target masked by nearby trash. Either way, when I was learning the AT Pro, even if I guessed trash, I wanted to dig it up and learn from the experience. I am a very curious person and wanted to see what I had been analyzing, and many times, what I thought would be trash ended up being worth the dig.

My recommendation for starting out with any detector is to listen to the sounds, make an educated guess, and dig regardless. You can't learn from what you don't dig!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's very good advise. Find you a piece of ground in the woods with a good assortment of targets when your just starting out and guess what the target is made of and dig it to see if your right. You will get it down in no time.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're anything like me, or helps to see instruction vs. being told. Check you these videos about detecting in iron infested áreas with the AT PRO. I wish they worked for me with the GTI 2500, because it gave me a headache today with the iron ore infested ground of San Augustine Texas! I like this guy's videos because they are informational as well as entertaining!

Thanks for the Video Can You send the Bobcat Up this Way LOL Chug I Guess the Vancouver Parks Department Would not Like that!!!! I Have Never used to zero mode Before But I think It Will Be Great Where We Are Hunting Now!!! Thank you Chug And Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread