Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I remember this episode correctly he used olive oil and an ultrasonic cleaner. Listen to the show!

Episode 45

[FONT=MS Serif, New York, serif]August 24th 2012[/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype, Book Antiqua, Palatino, serif]
On this episode of The Coin Show Matt talks to us about processing uncleaned ancient coins and Mike talks about the Rise and Fall of the Carson City Mint. we also discuss The Coolest Thing to walk into Matt's store this summer and give you a take on the news in the world of coins that you'll only get on The Coin Show.[/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype, Book Antiqua, Palatino, serif]Enjoy!

[/FONT]

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Whats the best way to clean very old rare and valuable coins and relic. Please don't advise me not to clean them cause I have to to id them. Was told years ago to just use olive oil but got some some stuff in olive oil for 10 years now and no cleaner. Please help in this matter and thanks in advance.

Get a petri dish or small shot-glass. Boil a few tablespoons full of hydrogen peroxide in the microwave oven (about 10 or 15 seconds for a few tablespoons). Drop the coin or item in. Take out, rub accordingly, repeat at necessary.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a petri dish or small shot-glass. Boil a few tablespoons full of hydrogen peroxide in the microwave oven (about 10 or 15 seconds for a few tablespoons). Drop the coin or item in. Take out, rub accordingly, repeat at necessary.

Just remember not to dip your fingers in that concoction right away either, you'll probably get burnt :tongue3:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the best way to clean very old rare and valuable coins and relic. Please don't advise me not to clean them cause I have to to id them. Was told years ago to just use olive oil but got some some stuff in olive oil for 10 years now and no cleaner. Please help in this matter and thanks in advance.
It all depends if there is anything left on the items to be cleaned, some times a lot of detail can hide behind the crud, outher times disaster waits for you. Best to determine what the find is worth, before you attempt any cleaning.

SS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Spatacus53.....fess up.....said from experience. I bet with your reserved and introverted personality you didn't even say a bad word. I am not laughing at the mental picture.....really I'm not:laughing7:. Always love how you TRULY struggle too be good when someone ask a not so bright question so had to take a little POKE at ya......Always enjoy your post and keep up the misbehavior.:icon_thumleft:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNGUNS, Sorry, but I just call em as I see em :tongue3:

P.S. There is never a struggle, inane comments come naturally to me :laughing7:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spatacus53.....there is no doubt you call em like ya see em......usually results in me LMAO. Always enjoy your comments. I would say" be good and talk to ya soon", but in your case" talk to ya soon" is more realistic.:icon_salut:

S

stefen

Get a cheap rock tumbler and beat the crap off of them

As an alternative, a mini-sandblaster for spark plugs works wonders...be sure to use fractured silica sand...

Gives coins a satin finish thats highly sought after...:icon_thumright::laughing7:

OP
OP
scavengor

scavengor

Oct 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its great that TNGUNS and spartacus53 is getting along better and all that but really I'm needing advise on how to clean my rare finds. So far everything I'm hear I have tried and just doesn't work. Please someone come forth with cool secret way of cleaning.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scavengor, well zippy... Have you tried the rock tumbler yet :dontknow: Many here use that little gem to clean their finds..

If you did and it didn't work, I'd suggest trying to dump that coin at your nearest coin star :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its great that TNGUNS and spartacus53 is getting along better and all that but really I'm needing advise on how to clean my rare finds. So far everything I'm hear I have tried and just doesn't work. Please someone come forth with cool secret way of cleaning.

There was plenty of good advice that *does* work...you just don't want to hear it. So since you're really just looking for an easy way where you can sit back and relax (as evidenced by soaking in olive oil for a decade) just send 'em to me and I'll take care of them!

peace,
cc

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spatacus53.....there is no doubt you call em like ya see em......usually results in me LMAO. Always enjoy your comments. I would say" be good and talk to ya soon", but in your case" talk to ya soon" is more realistic.:icon_salut:
Another Smart Spart fan. Who would have thunk it? What's this world comming to? I too would shake his hand, though....................Then armwrestle....LOL
Ray

OP
OP
scavengor

scavengor

Oct 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just two words for you guys "over cleaning" and everything I hear so far will do that. Trust me I might be new to this forum but I'm not new to this hobbie and I have done all of them with devastating results. I mean no disrespect to anyone here. I think I'll keep soaking in olive oil till some new way is developed to clean them. I do think someone knows away now but won't come forward. So please come forward do the right thing!

Last edited:

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
I don't know if anyone said this but for medium sized CHEAP relics just put some vinegar in a gal. sized bucket of water.
P.S. Depending on relic guesstimate how much vinegar and you will be able to see when to take it out.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...clip...Please someone come forth with cool secret way of cleaning...clip... I do think someone knows away now but won't come forward. So please come forward do the right thing!

Psssst! Over here....sssshhh! You mustn't let *them* intercept this message. Your secret handshake was hard to recognize in text format so a smokescreen was deployed. Now that it is obvious that you are on the same page, I can only reveal that there *is* indeed a member on these very forums who knows a highly guarded secret method of restoring the lost luster to corroded relics! Problem is that the person is not very nice and doesn't play well with others. Still, if you can ferret 'em out, you might be able to twist out some knowledge.

Until then, another ten years in olive oil surely should have some effect...

peace,
cc

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you believe the coins are that valuable pay to have them professionally cleaned. Go on any coin auction site and look at the $1,000 coins that are now $50 due to improper cleaning. It will say that right by the picture of the coin.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Silver Searcher said, find the value first, then decide your appropriate action.

In if it has a great value, you'll spend more time researching who'll be willing to pay for it in any condition :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread