Please Help to Identify this Chair

Thom

Greenie
Jul 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This chair was given to me. Any thoughts about the maker, date of manufacture? Any and all info is appreciated.
The height from the floor to the top of the seat 1s 13 1/2 inches. From the floor to the top of the back is 40 inches and the seat is 20 inches across. I am located in Southern California...Orange County.....my friend gave it to me today....

Attachments

• Chair1.jpg
    Chair1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 30
  • Chair 2.jpg
    Chair 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Chair 3.jpg
    Chair 3.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 32

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that chair has been made the world over, often by farmers with hand tools. I have one myself that traveled in a covered wagon across the plains.

OP
OP
T

Thom

Greenie
Jul 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that chair has been made the world over, often by farmers with hand tools. I have one myself that traveled in a covered wagon across the plains.
Thank you......is there any way to date it......and what is the purpose for making it so low to the ground?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
folk in the trade can give you a better estimate, but it looks commercially made and has had the seat rewoven. I would guess 1880 to 1910 would be fair. but it could be much younger too. It seems to have some legit wear but not enough to bust it up. Those chairs are sturdy enough but not made to be tossed around and leaned back on.

OP
OP
T

Thom

Greenie
Jul 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much. I like the chair and I like it low as well.......but was there a purpose for such a low chair?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old chair.

It’s very similar in style to this pair of French provenceaux chairs from the 1800s, but the style was widely used in multiple countries and through to the first part of the 1900s.

Chairs1.jpg

There are several possible reasons for low chairs. Generally, up until the mid-19th century, chairs (and especially parlour chairs) were lower because people were shorter! The shorter you are, the less leg room you need when seated in a relaxed position. Secondly, especially during the Victorian era, low chairs enabled women constrained by stiff corsets to interact with small children without having to bend over. Those kinds of chairs are usually upholstered and invariably armless (sometimes known as “slipper chairs”). Thirdly, just because the seat base is low, doesn’t mean that was the actual seating position. Many chairs like yours would have had a thick upholstered cushion for additional comfort.

That pair above were being sold with their cushions:

Chairs3.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thom

Greenie
Jul 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all the information

Top Member Reactions