Please help to sell my 1800's coin collection

HenryLaurin

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

My name is HenryLaurin, i am new to this forum.I acquired a coin collection. A huge number of coins some of which backpedal to the late 1800's. All are silver, a few proofs. Some might be significant, however I know nothing about the coins . I want to sell these coins but have no information about how to sell?? Also i dont know their values.I have tried watching some Bitcoin Trading Examples but that didn't helped me much.So, Any suggestions about self education , what to do, where to begin?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henry, if you become a charter member you can try to sell them here if not then any offers to buy will have to be deleted as only charter members can sell their items. You can still get info here on what they are worth and good luck selling them..Welcome to TreasureNet.

Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coin prices mag would be a good start...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you located?
If you live in Southwest Florida you got nothing to worry about... I’ll help you out.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located?
If you live in Southwest Florida you got nothing to worry about... I’ll help you out.
And if you're on the southeast coast I got you covered over here, lol.

Seriously though, the first thing you need to do is get some photos up so we can evaluate your collection.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, call the local Book/Magazine stores to see if they have the Official Red Book "A Guide Book of United States Coins 2019" and go and purchase a copy. If not, then acquire a copy from a local Coin Dealer or online. Second, learn as much as possible from the Red Book on Grading coins (determining their condition). You can also go to this link https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/ to better hone your skills at grading coins. Third, look each of your' coins in the Red Book, determine it's possible value then catalog them. You can also use https://www.pcgs.com/prices/, http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml and or eBay's Sold Listings to determine the value of your' coins. Fourth, determine if you want or should have any of the coins certified and graded due to their rarity and value and if so, then send them into PCGS or NGC for the best and most reliable grading services. Fifth, list the coins for sale here after getting a Charter Membership or sell them elsewhere online. Good luck!

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henry,

When you say huge collection I don't know if you mean 50 or 300 if they are all worn in a bag or individually protected, but for the $20 dollars I would recommend you become a charter member and post some pics soon. You will get honest answers to your questions and very likely multiple buyers that would not only appreciate the coins but the history behind them as well.

Additionally for what limited info you have given I would recommend for now you handle with extreme care. Download an app or purchase the red book to help you get a rough idea of what coins you have and possible value.

I watch a few you tube channels you might check out BlueRidgeSilverhound he seems to know his stuff.

I will tell you from a new collector I'm amazed at what little things can make a coin worth a lot more than a coin just 1 year later that looks identical. Its not uncommon to see a coin worth 2 or 300 times more based on scarcity & condition.

Classic example would be a 1916 dime vs a 1917 dime. A near perfect 1916-d with SB (split bands) could buy you a new car or possibly pay your mortgage but a 1917 might be worth 1 0r 2k.

Did you inherit the coins or buy them at an estate?

Also if you in the midwest I got you covered up here :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you can do is check out Ebay for the same coin. Look at the "sold" listings on the left side of the page for a quick look-see at completed and sold items. The Red Book is a great place to start, as has been mentioned.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
become a charter and sell them to me.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This.

One thing you can do is check out Ebay for the same coin. Look at the "sold" listings on the left side of the page for a quick look-see at completed and sold items. The Red Book is a great place to start, as has been mentioned.

If you have the time, self teaching yourself on what you have or don't have could save you from getting ripped off big time.

Chances are though, your not going to have any big valve coins, but you just never know.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the absolute first thing is to check for key dates. Once that is done, set any aside. After that, sort by type and condition. Coins that are really worn down sometimes go for scrap value. But one good condition coin can make up for all the others. Do NOT clean anything. Leave that for someone else.

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty sure, this is just another scammer trying to get us to click the link; by saying he has this HUGE coin collection.

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, apparently that isn’t a link. Isn’t it odd how many people ask questions similar to this and never respond whatsoever?

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am SHOCKED that he hasn't posted anything else since the start of this thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions