Please help - Travel Scoop Question

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually take one airplane trips to a beach resort to hunt each year. Well I knew I was not going for a while so I lent my long handle travel scoop out to a friend. Completely forgot to tell him to take it apart and spray it down with non-salt water after each use. Now my travel scoop does not come apart which is not good when trying to get on an airplane. Any suggestions on how to free up the screw so I can seperate it again?

I've tried running it under hot water and also spraying it with wd-40 to no avail.

Thanks in advance for your input.

NJ

Upvote 0

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
working on tug boats I have had good luck with liquid wrench, lots of it and overnight at least
good luck

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks I will have to try it.

olenodigger

Mar 2, 2007
north florida,U.S
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250,infinum LS,White's Spectra V3i,white's TDI pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Blaster found at auto parts stores.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks olenodigger...I will most likely try liqiud wrench but if that does not work I will try Blaster.

NJ

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
These boys are correct blaster is the best penetrating lubricant known to man blaster will dissolve salt the thing about it do it outside it will smell up your garage. The second let it sit even overnight the longer you let it sit the more betterr it works.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If it was mine, I would do the Blaster thing, and let it sit, and beat it apart. Stainless shouldnt rust tight, so it might just be a little sand holding it together and it needs a little nudge. Get a hammer if it doesnt come apart, and start tapping, maybe harder taps later. You might need 2 people. Or a bench mounted vise and 1 person with a hammer. That would be better. It will come apart!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Another one for JB Blaster. Also spray the joint of the of the scoop handle and let that in soak good. Id the bolt is froze up, more than likely the handle will be as well.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stevemc said:
If it was mine, I would do the Blaster thing, and let it sit, and beat it apart. Stainless shouldnt rust tight, so it might just be a little sand holding it together and it needs a little nudge. Get a hammer if it doesnt come apart, and start tapping, maybe harder taps later. You might need 2 people. Or a bench mounted vise and 1 person with a hammer. That would be better. It will come apart!

Okay..I will try blaster first. Will do it this weekend then let everyone know how turns out. There are two screws holding the handle together but I only need to get one out to seperate the two parts and it does not matter which one. So the hammer thing will not work until I free up one of the two screws first.

Thanks again...maybe I will take pictures to include in the update.

NJ

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have 2, now maybe 3 UW detectors that have not been adjusted for up to 15 years. They wont adjust. They have the button on a spring in a series of holes, and the button goes down, but it wont move apart at all, its all aluminum, so it could be corroded. Even on the end plastic rod part too. So I will probably have to do this same thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread