Please id this jefferson nickel

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
I was going thru some swimming hotspot coins i have found over the summer and came across this and im having trouble identifying it. Any help greatly appreciated. I hope its a life changing coin. Im happy regardless the outcome tho. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1598587564.196459.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1598587579.025377.jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears that someone glued it to the bottom of their shoe and walked around for a day or two?

OP
OP
absosecur

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Nope wrong answer but thanks for your input. I just dont know the coin stuff like many of you guys on this site. I know someone can educate me on this coin so i will politely wait. Thanks.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope wrong answer but thanks for your input. I just dont know the coin stuff like many of you guys on this site. I know someone can educate me on this coin so i will politely wait. Thanks.

What fistfulladirt suggests, isn't that far fetched. It got hung up in a coin machine for a while, or a piece of machinery, where one side rubbed off. IMO.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If someone offers you 6 cents for it, take it before they change their mind. I agree with fist and Kray, post mint damage.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry ! I Think You want a date, It's recent 2006 or newer Jefferson Nickel

000aaa.jpg 000bbb.jpg

000ccc.jpg

if not what you mean, I'm with the Rest, Scraping Damage

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That obverse design has been in use since 2006. Too much post mint damage on your to read the year. Designer is Jamie Frankie. Worth 5¢.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep 2006 on up, too damaged to be sure.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although possible, because I haven't ever tried. but since nickels content hasn't changed in over a hundred years

000fff.jpg

may be worth a try, if you really Need to Know, a Little Dab may do Ya :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
absosecur

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Its not post mint damage. There is no rim on it. Ill post better pics of it tomorrow. Thanks.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the only option other than damage would be a grease filled die, but in that case there would be a rim. Can you get an accurate weight?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be very Surprised if it's a Weak Strike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir i believe its something like that.

Good Luck ! I Hope it Is, But the Scratches across the Front Suggest to Me it's been in the Water long enough to have been Sand Blasted
By Water flow

000zzz.jpg

The Reverse Looks Weak strike But Could be the Pic (Light) (Focus)

Last edited:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Maybe you are thinking it's a die adjustment strike, an early strike trying to determine the die pressure needed......possibly.....heavily grease filled die seems plausible but as mentioned, it should have the upset rim still......my initial thought too was a grinding wheel but I can't understand how Jefferson's nose was not affected......so I am going to go with PMD although I am not at all familiar with the many implements of destruction that are out there so I just can't say how it might have been done.

HH all!

Greg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The consensus opinion here is post mint damage. You may get the answer you want by taking it to a professional. Any good coin shop should be able to help.

Time for more coffee.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The consensus opinion here is post mint damage. You may get the answer you want by taking it to a professional. Any good coin shop should be able to help.

Time for more coffee.

Most good coin shops don't have professionals. Anyway, even with a weak strike there would be a rim. It also wouldn't be weak on one side. Study the minting process. The obverse is scratched up and the rim has been grounded down, simple as that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread