txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early hours my father in law passed away. After a 2yr battle with cancer, the last few months have been really tough on the family. His passing gives the family closure to know he won't be in pain any more, but even with that small comfort, the months ahead of them are going to be rough.

For those of you who remember, both my father in law and my dad was told they had cancer around the same time, and they both had the same type. My dad was in stage IV and my father in law in stage II. I am not knocking treatment, but will advise before anyone jumps on the chemo band wagon to research and know exactly what its about. The sad truth is when it comes to lung, brain, or spinal cancer that is already in the III and IV stages the fact is suvival rate is almost impossible. Doctors don't tell you this unless you directly ask them. My dad after watching my mother go through chemo and watch what it did to her and how weak she became decided against chemo. His doctor after going through the chemo spill finally told him he thought it was a good choice because even with chemo the sad fact was he would die anyway, and the quality of his remaining life would not be good. My father in law opted for the treatment even knowing the chances were next to none. I have seen them both over the last 6 months bravely fight this battle each in there own way. One thing I can say is that in my fathers case, his life has been enjoyed, and he has had some real quality time. By cutting off sugar in his diet, and taking eneymes and vitimins, and eating fresh fruits and veggies, he has slowed the growth of the cancer down and has been able to keep most symptoms at bay. He has energy and still drives and gets around well. He is also 76yrs old, and was on the roof last week installing a new smoke stack for his wood burning fire place. I also have to thank the TN member who told me about the flax seed oil and cottage cheese. My dad bulked at first but decided to humor me for a week. Well that was 5 months ago, and he tells everyone that the mixture, took away the pain and aches he was having in his joints. The oil was super super nasty tasting, and my dad hates cottage cheese, but twice a day he mixes it up and eats it, and swears by it.
My father in law took the chemo/rad. route and slowly wasted away, the last couple months being totally dependant and in a nursing home. So to anyone out there who may be facing this situation, please do not trust the doctors alone, do your own research, and change your diet NO NO SUGAR! Even if you opt for the chemo treatments, don't leave it up to the doctors alone, cut out the sugar, consume less meat(its harder for your body to digest) bulk up on veggies and fruits, and make a game plan, which includes the worst case scenerio, and make sure that your loved ones not only understand your wishes but are on board with you. One last thing, no one ever wants to think about funeral arrangements, and I would of never believed it until my mom got sick, but funeral costs double and triple if you make them after the person passes away.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Prayers for your family.

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. The family is doing alright, its hard but easier now because they know he is no longer suffering like he was. The funeral is Saturday, which is Halloween so its a little strange, he was cremated and we keep teasing the kids that they can take grandpa with them trick or treating. (i know we got a twisted sense of humor but it helps at times like this)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're real sorry to hear about that, txkickergirl. I'll bet grandpa had a sense of humor and he might like to go trick or treatin'. Flax seed oil and cottage cheese. Your dad's right, my God that is gross. But if it works, tell him to keep after it. Our thoughts are with y'all.
Roberto y Maria Candelaria

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cancer is an insidious disease. We are just getting started on a cancer, "thing" with an aunt. I know it will be a long road. May your family receive the strength you need to carry on.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
God bless you,girl and your family.Regardless of treatments it takes a lot of strength from everyone involved.Prayers to you and family everyday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread