Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you simply contact a museum with recognised expertise in Mayan art? Then you'll know... although I fully expect that you won't believe if they say it's just a rock.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could probably get a little better image clarity on the zoom in... I was in a rush to get the image uploaded... I'm grateful That I'm getting any exposure, even the negative comments that I have not read, are greatly appreciated... PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF I COME OFF LIKE A JERK... I probably have been. I've got others I'm working on... The art of the mayans is difficult to comprehend visually since it is so organic... very few straight lines... But the face is unmistakeable... I just need to find an EXACT image frmo one of the codeices but there are only 4 or so and it's a possibility that this images background and setting are unique and not in any recorded document... possibly on a wall, stelae, or lintel... I will keep looking.

No, won't, pretty sure you are.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the lines and fractures in that rock you can see almost anything you want to see if you try hard enough. It's an interesting rock, but just a rock.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok ..ok... I was asked to settle the dispute...

So...

Yep... it is a Mayan bowling ball.

Obviously the owner carved a picture of his wife in it... which gave him more strength when hurling towards the pins.

I also see evidence of it being used for soccer... its the "Toe prints" that suggest that.

And... one cannot discount the other markings which point to the other uses... such as... a bed pillow... a fishing weight... a hair comb... and a salt lick for cattle.

But really ... I think it was mostly used for Tetherball.. and possibly golf.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i can see it. Are there any kind of tool marks notable?

AHH YESS ! ! !

I see tool marks ! ! !

So... this means it was also used as a tool belt and tool chest as well.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yes, this could be something (even though i do not belive it is) or it could be just another rock. There is no way anyone could tell from few not very high quality pictures, unless you are psychic, right?

Non the less, if ithere is a reason to assume it was man made (not only due to its alledge image) it deserves a professional oppinion by phisical observation.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the rocks appear fake. Like ceramic for the top one and a salt mixed into something like white playdough in the second. Then it is molded over some cement in the middle of the other image.The prints also do not appear authentic to me, the red on the side shows edges for modern printing techniques and the pure black is just photocopy ink. Not to mention the non standard designs, they are just fake and I could do a much better job as an artist.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So the rocks appear fake. Like ceramic for the top one and a salt mixed into something like white playdough in the second. Then it is molded over some cement in the middle of the other image.The prints also do not appear authentic to me, the red on the side shows edges for modern printing techniques and the pure black is just photocopy ink. Not to mention the non standard designs, they are just fake and I could do a much better job as an artist.

Respectfully, I see nothing at all that could be fake about the rock
itself. It's a milky quartz conglomerate of some type, and in the top
images it is backlit.

People may not see in it what GW does, but the rock ain't fake.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respectfully, I see nothing at all that could be fake about the rock
itself. It's a milky quartz conglomerate of some type, and in the top
images it is backlit.

People may not see in it what GW does, but the rock ain't fake.

Completely agree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread