🔎 UNIDENTIFIED PLEASE NEED HELP CANT FIGURE OUT!!!!!

Alwayslooking2

Jun 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This rock is blue and different colors. It's not magnetic. So NO it's not iron . Please if you can help I would be appreciative. FOUND IN SOUTHEAST MISSOURI. THANK YOU.
20230408_173632.jpg

Attachments

• 20230408_173636.jpg
    20230408_173636.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230408_173612.jpg
    20230408_173612.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
This rock is blue and different colors. It's not magnetic. So NO it's not iron . Please if you can help I would be appreciative. FOUND IN SOUTHEAST MISSOURI. THANK YOU. View attachment 2078045
I'm thinking it is Blue Chert but more information is needed.

Where did you find it (more specific than SE)?

What is the estimated hardness of the specimen, i.e. What can scratch it (fingernail, iron nail, quartz, etc... in increasing hardness)?

What color streak does it make on white and/or black porcelain?

Apparently, a place called Bee Bluff is famous for it's blue and gemmy Chert. Check it out.

Upvote 1

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the estimated hardness of the specimen, i.e. What can scratch it (fingernail, iron nail, quartz, etc... in increasing hardness)?

What color streak does it make on white and/or black porcelain?
That won't help. Streak, hardness and specific gravity tests only work on minerals. Those tests will not identify a rock. Clearly, from the appearance this is a rock - not a mineral. Those tests won't reveal what kind of rock you have. If you want to know what the rock is you will need to study the geology, mineralogy and stratigraphy of the immediate area it was found. In other words we need more information to tell you what kind of rock it is.

It is a pretty rock. It might look nice tumbled. It could be chert or one of the many other colors of chalcedony. It could also be colored blue by the lead content. That area of Missouri is well known for it's lead deposits. It doesn't appear to be blue due to a Tyndall effect so it's probably just another colored chalcedony. There may be a local name for this blue rock. Since we don't know the geological locality all we really have is "blue" and "rock" and a picture.

Upvote 4

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
That won't help. Streak, hardness and specific gravity tests only work on minerals. Those tests will not identify a rock. Clearly, from the appearance this is a rock - not a mineral. Those tests won't reveal what kind of rock you have. If you want to know what the rock is you will need to study the geology, mineralogy and stratigraphy of the immediate area it was found. In other words we need more information to tell you what kind of rock it is.

It is a pretty rock. It might look nice tumbled. It could be chert or one of the many other colors of chalcedony. It could also be colored blue by the lead content. That area of Missouri is well known for it's lead deposits. It doesn't appear to be blue due to a Tyndall effect so it's probably just another colored chalcedony. There may be a local name for this blue rock. Since we don't know the geological locality all we really have is "blue" and "rock" and a picture.
Still, good as a starting point and for more information.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread