Please read: Food for upcoming Hunt

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen:

As you all know, our BIG hunt is coming up next month. It really has turned out bigger and better than I had hoped when I first started the ball moving and want to thank those individuals who have dedicated themselves to this hunt and made it really an EVENT rather than just a small get-together. THANK YOU :) :) :)

We will need to tackle one big facet of our hunt and that is: food. Namely, we need to figure out what everyone would like to have for our meals. I decided that instead of making a unilateral decision, that I would ask all of you fine folks. I was thinking that we could provide our own food on friday, since many of us have to work until later that evening. Saturday we could have a breakfast, lunch (if people are wanting to take a break from metal detecting) and dinner and on Sunday maybe a breakfast or lunch or both. A cookout seems in order to me. A cookout with hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, coleslaw, etc, etc. I am thinking that we could do it 'potluck' style in which everyone would sign up to bring something. This way, no one person bears the total burden of the cost of food. In addition, if anyone would like to bring something other than hamburgers, hotdogs, chips (the normal cookout type food) please feel free, you are more than welcome. I know that Annmarie is going to make spaghetti (which sounds great) :). Please let me know if you all like this idea, and if it is agreeable to everyone, I will post a list here on Tnet showing all the items that we will need and each person is more than welcome to add things that I may have not thought of. Then, we can put each person down next to the item he/she is going to bring. So, if this sounds good to all the Virginians who are coming to the hunt, than let me know. Together, I know that we can make it great!

Sentinel

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Just a thought here..... A big meal of some kind on Sat night would be nice since most of us will have to camp (only 3 cabins, all gone). It might just be easier to let everyone do their own thing for the other meals... But dang.... I would LOVE to have access to a coffee pot in one of the cabins!!

It can get kind of time consuming to plan meals for everyone - I have done it on many girl scout trips.

I am not against the idea, I just don't want to see it become a real hassle. Especially since we don't really 'know' everyone yet and we are depending on the whole group to remember to bring their designated food items (and to show up - someone might have a last minute cancellation).
Anyway... just pondering the options here - let's see what others think!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good idea. We can definitely bring our own food for breakfast and lunch and cook it up on our own and just have a nice big cookout for dinner.

Sentinel

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think most of us will want to maximize our time in the field - especially if the digging is good. So most meals will be quick, easy, and on our own.

I would like to have a group gathering for Saturday evening. We'll probably want to make a plan for that meal. Part of the plan may be dictated by the number of people who attend. Also available facilities. Grills? Electricity? Tables? Water? What will we have to work with?

DCMatt

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
DCMatt said:
I think most of us will want to maximize our time in the field - especially if the digging is good. So most meals will be quick, easy, and on our own.

I would like to have a group gathering for Saturday evening. We'll probably want to make a plan for that meal. Part of the plan may be dictated by the number of people who attend. Also available facilities. Grills? Electricity? Tables? Water? What will we have to work with?

DCMatt

Come on Matt, its the Boy Scouts! You got to smack some rocks together till you get sparks. ;D

I think I will be bringing some LA style sausage and beans, just need to work with the ingredients to figure out how to make X amount.... Currently 27 to 30 people.

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
Will have to think about this - last time I cooked over an open fire, it was a chicken inside a turkey inside a goat, and it took all day!

I have an old recipe somewhere for railroad slaw - they used it in railroad food cars in the old days because it doesn't have to be refrigerated - uses a vinegar and oil based dressing rather than mayo. I could rustle up a couple of gallons of that in no time.

Also, do we have an official name for this event? I have an idea for some special treats...

Can't wait to meet y'all. I have spent weeks just reading TN posts and feel like I know a lot of you already. Just ordered my first metal detector and feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! LOL

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the First Annual Virginia Pipsico Hunt ;) ;) ;) ;) Hinting at maybe a SECOND Annual Virginia Pipsico Hunt ;D

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ann,

Sounds like you're bringing food for everyone! Don't spend too much time cooking. You'll want to hunt some, I'm sure.

And BTW...

I'll bring some bread so we can make some garlic bread on the grill.

Please let us bring the bread. My dad and I may be new to MDing, but we have over 50 years of bread baking experience between us. We'll bring 8 or 10 loaves to share.

Also on naming the event or the group. How about Coin And Relic DiggerS (or DigS)? CARDS at Pipsico? CARDS of VA? CARDS of TNet? Just a thought...

I, too, am hoping this event will be successful enough to do it again (I think it already has been...)

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

DCMatt and PAJoe

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
A couple of questions:

1. Do we need to make some kind of reservations for the camping, or should we just bring gear and set it up wherever they designate as a camping spot.

2. Will we have access to electricity where we can maybe have a couple of coffee pots going at once?

I have a huge (holds at least 2 gallons) old percolator that we could use, but the best use may be to make coffee in a drip pot and just keep it warm in the percolator. Since my dad was a navy man, I know that pirates love coffee almost as much as truck drivers do.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so this is how it will go then. It seems, and I concur, that most will want to maximize their hunting time, so... Everybody will be responsible for their breakfast and lunch meals except for Saturday night when we will have a nice get together around a campfire and have dinner together. As mentioned, Annmarie will be making a big pot of spaghetti :) :) :) but if others want to bring other cook-out type things than they are more than welcome. I do not personally have a portable grill but, I am sure that there will be one at the Boy Scout reserve and if not we will get one, so I will be bringing a big box of hamburgers and if others want to bring other things, as said, that will be fine. As far as breakfast and lunch goes, as said, I know that people are planning on cooking those two meals and you are more than welcome to join in. But if you are like me, I probably will skip breakfast as I am not much of a morning eater.

Cordially

Sentinel

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
You got that right, Staceylee. I am spoiled. My husband sets up the automatic coffee maker every night and in the morning about 5:00 it starts grinding the beans. What a wonderful thing to wake up to. If we don't have electricity, I'll just boil some water and use my French press.

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
R E A D M E * * * * {Updated 04/06/07} * * * * R E A D M E

It looks like we will have enough food for an army on Saturday night, with leftovers on Sunday morning:

To sum up:

Bottled water - Annmarie & Dee
Pasta and Spaghetti Sauce - Annemarie

Potato salad and railroad slaw - Dee
White chile (for anyone who can't eat tomato sauce) - Dee
Coffee, creamer, etc. - Dee
Dessert - Dee

Bread - DCMatt

Burgers - Sentinel

Paper plates - Stacy
Plastic silverware - Stacy
Paper Napkins - Stacy
Dessert - Stacy

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
deedeelou said:
To sum up:

It looks like we will have enough food for an army on Saturday night, with leftovers on Sunday morning:

Bottled water - Annmarie & Dee
Pasta and Spaghetti Sauce - Annemarie

Potato salad and railroad slaw - Dee
White chile (for anyone who can't eat tomato sauce) - Dee
Coffee, creamer, etc. - Dee
Dessert - Dee

Bread - DCMatt

Burgers - Sentinel

N\Hi, I can help. What could I contribute???

Ronin9868

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Dee,
Put me on the list too - For Sat night I will bring:
paper plates
plastic silverware
napkins
another simple dessert - brownies, cookies etc

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronin, I will get with you about what you can bring...

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, we do have enough food now. Everyone will have full bellies I guarantee it and some great hunting to look forward too ;)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
LOL....we don't have enough yet...we got growing boys coming....gotta' keep them fed so they keep on diggin'.........LOL ;D ;D ;D

Wow...I think we are really set for our big night Saturday...huh?

OMG...this is going to be so much fun!!!!!!!! I can't wait....I am counting down the days...WHOOO HOOO...haven't been this excited about anything in a long while!!!

See ya'll there....don't forget your empty tummies!!!!!!!! LOL

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL :D Can never have enough food I guess...BUT dont worry Annmarie....I will make a check list. I think we will be good...I will post a list with everything that people have already said that they are bringing and some additional things that we will need. Then people can choose from the list what they want to help with. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread