Please read gentlemen

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
south shore massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago or so i posted a picture of some stones I found that were laying under a toppled tree. The area in which I live and located these stones are in Canton Massachusetts where the ponkapoag indians lived. Its at the foot of the Blue Hills. If you're not from around here i highly recommend researching it. It's very interesting. Our town has a rich colonial history with Paul Revere living here as well. The area has been untouched and i decided on a walk to investigate. I found odd shaped stones of various sizes and shapes. Now, I have common sense, i know not everything is what i wish it would be, but sometimes that gut instinct kicks in and you just cant ignore it. No i have not been doing this long and i am aware that there is thousands of years combined of experience amongst you fine gentlemen. Within the thread there were some comments that were borderline smug and slightly disrespectful when i was trying to explain my observation about a particular stone (not all of them) when i was told they were just rocks. I get it. I do. But if those that commented have all this experience, why resort to those tactics towards me. I am trying to learn. yeah it stinks that they are rocks. Its disappointing but expected. However i just cant let go of this one stone. Maybe my pictures didnt capture what i was trying to say. But I'd like adult responses not people hiding behind a keyboard. I come here for guidance and knowledge and feels like im at chuck e cheese. So if my wise remarks didn't sit well with those that commented i would hope in the future your words will be more carefully chosen. Again, I cant stress this enough , I want to learn from all of you. Not defend myself. I respect all of you and what you bring to the table, me on the other hand , i am an armless waiter, i bring nothing to the table. Accept the willingness to learn. Thank you and God Bless you all.
Jim

Upvote 12
OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it fits perfectly in my hand, is always a good one.
my advice is have patience.
eventually you will find something that is without a doubt an artifact.
Good luck.
Thank you. Is it normal for a stone such as that to have worn areas where i felt my thumb and index finger sat? and the tip of it to be smooth and worn? when i looked under my phones video magnifier it appeared to have worked areas above where my hand sat. I ask because I dont want to get giddy if I come across something like that again. I want to be able to subconsciously revert back to that mindset to avoid losing focus

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, and honestly the replies I read barely qualify as derogatory, I said he was being bullheaded AKA stubborn, in the absolute insistence on it being more than a rock, and that was after I had offered him a positive post and qualified the members here, which was mocked.

Jaybrezzy, I am glad you came back and made this other thread. You are going to believe whatever you want, we won't change your mind.
Just know we've been through hundreds of new members just like you who keep insisting what they have is not what our experience tells us it is. That's fine, and most, with very few exceptions such as yourself, usually take their ball (rock) and go home, typically in a negative way.

Believe what you will, but keep looking and also know that almost the entirety of artifacts found here are pre-colonial ( the populations/cultures had been decimated, see: Guns, Germs and Steel), usually 1K years or more. There are usually better places to find artifacts than historical areas, (2nd plateau up from a river, especially at a conjunction with a creek, etc....) and many threads here on how to do so...legally.
Sir, I can sincerely apologize to you because I forgot about the post and then when i remembered i posted I immediately made this one. Sometimes via texting/ typing, emotions get lost in translation and it is difficult to decipher the other parties mental state whether joking, busting balls or just being rude, so I humbly apologize. I stated i was prepared to hear that they werent, some were , a few were all were just rocks. But some comments i was like damn i am just trying to verbally explain what I have a little more clearer if i didnt fully explain prior. I am honestly ok with it not being anything. Again I kept going with explaining because i felt i didnt fully explain myself. I hope that makes sense. I am extremely eager to learn from you and everyone else.
Respectuflly,
jim briggs

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I got my start here, and still lurk with much respect, I recently joined Facebook so I could belong to a 'Group' that specializes in NA artifacts from New York State - my neighborhood. It is my first FB experience. The frequency of middle school wise-guy comments is disappointing, to say the least. Apparently they think they're funny.

I've always felt that the folks here are sincere. Nice people. Response to JayBreezy58's original query was extremely patient. Not so on my new FB Group. If you *really want to feel like you're at Chuckie Cheese....join a FB Group!
I dont even like their pizza so I'll pass and just stay here with you guys if thats ok? I like it here better!

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing a new hunter needs to learn to find and recognize is debitage. ( In archaeology, debitage is all the material produced during the process of lithic reduction – the production of stone tools and weapons by knapping stone. From Wiki)

Once you find that and recognize it the artifacts are close.

Learn to recognize what could possibly be a site and why it is there and it will lead you to new sites.

Try to start with multi component sites where you had layer upon layer of occupation.

Happy New Year and good luck.
That is the advice i was hoping to obtain, thank you for taking the time to reply Sir

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to understand we get a lot of new members who are new at indian artifact collecting who insist their rocks are artifacts and no amount of advice from very knowledgeable members who have been finding, studying and collecting Indian artifacts for multiple decades will change their minds.

One of the most common comments new collectors make when told they are natural rocks are "must be my pictures don't show what I am seeing.

The problem is some new collectors use their imagination more than their eyes, said it many times to new collectors and will say it again, don't let how a rock fits your hands be the reason you think a rock is an artifact, it will lead you down the wrong path.

There are many Indian artifact shows held, most likely there is one in your area coming up, take the ones you think are artifacts to a show and see what they say.
I will take your words and remember them. I thank you for your time you took out of yoru day to reply Sir.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread