Please! Some tips and advice for a new roll hunter...

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hey David, There are the basic ones: keep all wheat pennies and older ones, all pre 1960 nickels, silver quarters dimes, halfs. Then there are error coins. Such as doubled dies, filled dies, die cracks, broadstrikes, rotated, off-center, etc...you may want to look up different types of error coins online so you know what to look out for :)

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Hi David, I guess I would say to try and buy the paper rolled coins that people turn into the banks, before buying the boxes of clear wrapped rolls that come from Brinks. I think you have a better chance with the paper rolls, but that is not to say that you will not find keeper coins in the clear plastic wraps. You will,but I don't think the odds are the best.

I also like to purchase rolls from the banks inside the supermarket, and from smaller local banks.

Good luck roll hunting. :)

OP
OP
D

DavHut(SC)

Helpful Tips and Advice for a new roll hunter...

you may want to look up different types of error coins online so you know what to look out for

Oh, now here's a goodie! Naturally I would cull any wheats, silver coins and pre 1955 nickles but I hadnt thought to educate myself on errors and such. Good advice!

... try and buy the paper rolled coins that people turn into the banks, before buying the boxes of clear wrapped rolls that come from Brinks. I also like to purchase rolls from the banks inside the supermarket, and from smaller local banks.

Some more good ones. The super market, convenience and LIQUOR store rolls, especially seem like some sharp thoughts. My daughter used to work in a conveninece store and oh the coins people used to bring in...

How about placing an ad or posting flyers, advertising that you buy coins? Anyone try that?

David

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be a good idea to somehow mark the rolls that you've searched through when you're done. Because if you return them and later want search more rolls from the same bank, you could recieve some of the same rolls that you've already hunted. And of course, the more rolls you buy, the better chance you'll find some goodies! ;D
HH

OP
OP
D

DavHut(SC)

It might be a good idea to somehow mark the rolls that you've searched through when you're done. Because if you return them and later want search more rolls from the same bank, you could recieve some of the same rolls that you've already hunted.

I used to roll lots of coin when I was detecting monster and always put my addy label on them. New day, same old plan. THanks!!

David

OP
OP
D

DavHut(SC)

Im inspired...

Ya'll insprired me to get one of those coin roll tube-sets for hand rolling my found coins and pocket change. As for re-tubing the purchased rolls im finish "mining", which machuine would all of you recommend?

David

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
O yea, i forgot to mention about marking the ones you already searched, I was surprised to get a few of my own nickel rolls back a week later...

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect a jar of change so I can replace the coins I take out, without using the rolls I have. I mark my rolls MUD so I know if I get repeat rolls. The main thing is buy lots of rolls and keep your eyes open.

Keep @ it and HH!!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
coincrazed said:
All right my man heres the inside scoop on coin roll huntin. Save any nickels dated 1942-1945 with a large mintmark above monticello they are 35% silver. save any half dollars dated before 1970 they are silver as well. save any quarters or dimes before 1964 they are 90% silver. - coincrazed
Hey! You want to keep the 1970 half dollar also, silver clad, if you are lucky enough to find one!

XX

Jan 11, 2008
DavHut(SC) said:
Sounds pretty basic but there are bound to be some pointers. Will you please share them??
David

Basic advice.....

Don't pick your nose right after coin roll hunting. Your hands will be very dirty.

Don't bring your coins back to teller you bought them from. Do it once and next time she will tell you they don't have any.

Don't dump more than a bank can handle. Each bank varies. Dump too hard and the bank will pro-actively find a way to get rid of you. What sucks is one bank may be ok with $5000 while the next ballks at $500 and it's difficult to find out the bank's threshhold just by asking as they won't tell you.

If I think of anything else, I'll post back.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Welcome Dav,

All the advice is good except
"O yea, i forgot to mention about marking the ones you already searched, I was surprised to get a few of my own nickel rolls back a week later..."

I don't recommend doing it out of respect for other coin collectors. For example I found a non-silver coin in BU condition the other day that I needed for my collection but some J@ off put a big black line on it. Silver is random and it comes in waves, it does not good to find out if your own coins are coming back into your possesion, they inevitably will but so will silver.

Another thing is look for coins with the S mint mark especially 1976 s mint halves as they can be silver as well. These coins are made for proof sets and can bring some profit.

Another tid bit is that your best chance to find silver is with half dollars, second is dimes then nickels and quarters are the hardest. Of course every area is different. I would go bank hoppin in your area for half dollars first to get a feel for who is searching and dropping off half dollars. If you run across a lot of silver and no clad, it could be that you are in a Virgin area with very few lookers. If this is the case hit every bank in every town around you.

Hope this helps

Golden Silver

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
ok, this thread was started 3 1/2 years ago. stop bumping this crap. dav is not a new person, his last post was feb of 2006. So coincrazed drink some :coffee2: and check out the basic info (top post) if you have questions.

Thanks.

~fm

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
coincrazed said:
dandow20 said:
ok, this thread was started 3 1/2 years ago. stop bumping this crap. dav is not a new person, his last post was feb of 2006. So coincrazed drink some :coffee2: and check out the basic info (top post) if you have questions.

Thanks.

~fm
What is that supposed to mean my man ? By the way Im not exactly a newbie to roll huntin, just a newbie on the forum.
[/quoteYEAH!!!!!! What???????

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
my point is you responded to a post that was written 3 years ago. My point is the last time the guy posted was february 2006. Perhaps he has already had his question answered? :dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention you said to keep all dimes and quarters before 1964. Don't you think you should keep all of the 1964s also? ;D

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
DavHut(SC) said:
Sounds pretty basic but there are bound to be some pointers. Will you please share them??
David

Well test out & find a good approach to talk to tellers, and be sure too to ask if they say no Halves in my drawer to ask'em if they have any "rolls in the vault", I've scored really big on (clads too) Silver doing so, 21 solid Silver rolls in fact by asking for them from the vault.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Don't worry coincrazed I did not check the date either. Somebody must have been reminising and looked up a feakin old question.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread