PLowed Field Sifting?

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
PLowed Field Sifting?

Anyone ever tried to sift the dirt in a coenfield or plowed field? I tried it today. I went to a place where I find the most points after a plowing. Dug 3 3foot by 3foot square 5 foot deep holes and sifted it all. Didnt get a single artifact. Anyone tried this method with any sucess? I though I would have found one for sure being I find them on top of the ground.

Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Re: PLowed Field Sifting?

I have always wanted to do that. I always see those Florida guys digging and finding points. I just need to try it myself. At least it would get that idea out of my head once and for all. Kudos on giving it a shot.
Chuck

USMC1986

Jul 26, 2008
Chatfield, MN

I am planning on doing that very same tactic this year on my favorite spot. Seems like a lot of work though!
Good luck...

Semper Fi
Dan

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FunWithTreasure said:
Anyone ever tried to sift the dirt in a cornfield or plowed field? I tried it today. I went to a place where I find the most points after a plowing. Dug 3 3foot by 3foot square 5 foot deep holes and sifted it all. Didn't get a single artifact. Anyone tried this method with any success? I though I would have found one for sure being I find them on top of the ground.

You better watch doing this in a plowed field because no matter how well you pack the dirt back into the holes it will settle and then leave deep impressions and soft spots in the farmers field which is dangerous to him and his tractor and will probably tick him off really well.

P

pickaway

Yeah we recently dug in a field and came to the conclusion after many years of farming the artifacts are to scattered,this coming from a field with alot of lithic debris & artifacts, I'm sure if you spent some hours & got beneath the plow line you'd find artifacts but we deemed it more productive to surface hunt the area.Good luck.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I too have tried this, with no success. I find more on the surface than diggin. Prolly be better to dig in places that have not been dug up, like in near woods, close to campsites. Its not an easy task I grant ya but, you'll prolly find more whole points that way. Good luck.

Molly. :)

shopdog

Oct 20, 2008

never tryed sifting i have alot of luck with a probe .i will look for debri on the surface gently poke around at differant depths feel for and lisen for the stone and dig i also use it as a walking stick when it hits stone i dig found alot that way just be easy when sticking it into the ground not to damage things with a hard poke works best in lose soil or sandy areas

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello
Make sure you have the farmers permission to dig. We have dug off the rivers on private land with permission. Some sites around here can be 10 + feet deep. So the plow is only getting about 18-20 inches. Do a test hole in several place and if you keep hitting flint and bones give it a try. Cant hurt to try. Now days we just hunt wash outs or collapsed banks. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread