PLP update:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would but I mine for a living and living just hasn't been good these days, thanks to all you who are able to help the fight.
GT.....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't let this guy represent me in a minor automobile accident. Good Luck PLP supporters, you are going to need it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gave PLP $500.00 back in 2010. I hoped they could do something for small gold miners. As far as I'm concerned they have squandered the money that has been donated to them and done very, very little for "the cause." We are no better off today from the day this organization was formed.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Hefty, I hate to say it but if nothing comes after May 1, we will be in the same place as we were 5 years ago. I applaud what they are doing, but it is what we are up against and money and lawyers are not the answer. It is going to take drastic action that will attract media attention to get this overturned.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hefty, I hate to say it but if nothing comes after May 1, we will be in the same place as we were 5 years ago. I applaud what they are doing, but it is what we are up against and money and lawyers are not the answer. It is going to take drastic action that will attract media attention to get this overturned.

I agree...but at least plp is doing something...what else can they do?
Or we turn Ca into a huge Bundy Ranch!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I totally agree with Hefty1!! who else has stepped up to the plate to save our RIGHTS??

Mountain States Legal Foundation has fought and won dozens of cases affecting miners rights, property rights and government and environmental infringement on land uses.

One of the most important mining rights cases of the last 20 years is the Minard Run case that Mountain States pursued and won through several courts and appeals defeating the Forest Service and the greenies and getting the first of many higher court decisions declaring "sue and settle" tactics illegal.

I would call that "stepping up to the plate" and hitting a homerun to save your rights. These guys are the real thing. There are others.

Does that answer your question?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've attended PLP fund raisers and donated out of pocket with no regrets.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In addition to the Mtn States Legal Fund one can go to their web page and see what OTHER "fighting for public rights" entities are allied with them. There are many.

I believe it is wise to have many such groups fighting on our behalf. I have felt it "Not Wise" to put all one's eggs in one's basket. If I were to go back and look at the Calif fight in retrospect I believe it is easy to see how it has evolved fighting one argument after another. First it was mercury, then the frog, then fish, etc etc trying to prove them wrong on each count. Then came the Federal mining laws at which point the Calif State court classified dredgers as "recreational".....per a survey of miners done by the State. The miners shot themselves in their own foot with a willingness to identify themselves as "recreational".

It seems foolish to criticize PLP when they are doing the best they can. BUT it is wise to give consideration to OTHER entities that may favor a different approach. The anti dredging crowd is carrying the fight to all North West States. Calif is not the only game in town!

Then of course we had the issue of "Takings"....which has two major counterpoints nullifying any consideration for "Takings". Most claims are not "perfected" and as such don't meet the supremacy clause ruling and most claims can be mined with OTHER methods. One would want to first prove that states do not have a right to dictate a form/method of mining (and that has already been achieved via a court ruling). But that argument has not preempted the "takings" approach.

Most often it takes years to go through the court system. And I know States are very good at keeping the ball game on their turf (State Courts).

Just thought I would add my two cents worth. How many miners that you know of are contacting other legal non-profits trying to get them to take on challenges? I know I have been in contact with others and I am trying to find some to take on the battle.

I wish PLP the best, but I realize they are just one group fighting this battle.....others need to be brought on board. IMHO There are other states against dredging and they pass different legislation.

Bejay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread