Plucked a Gold Victorian Cameo Ring from the sand Sunday... (Updated more pics)

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Picked up this beautiful 10K or 12K (tested under 14K) Victorian Era (1880-1920) Cameo ring from about 5" down in the shell mulch sand on Sunday. Best part was it was located right smack in the middle of 3 previously dug holes by another MD'er. He was moving way too fast for this trash laden beach and passed it up along with a ton of other targets. They key is to just slow down, sometimes way down, keep that coil flat and persevere... HH all!!

Added more pics as requested, including one of the beauty that stole it from me lol...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
WOW!! Got to the office this morning, checked the forum and BAM up on top! Thanks so much guys!! I'm honored! Definitely a nice surprise to wake up too... I'll keep ya all posted on the appraisal!

-Jason

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Re: Plucked a Gold Victorian Cameo Ring from the sand Sunday... (Updated more pi

fir469 said:
And for those who it will help, it sounded a lot like a .22 shell casing, that choppy foil sound on my Sovereign. Dug like 5 .22 casings that day, a thin well worn Merc, like 80 cents in clad and a TON of misc trash, brass copper and tabs.

Congrats on the banner, I'll throw my vote in even though its already up there. That is a beautiful ring.

you know, just yesterday I was in the woods digging a bunch of shell casings, getting frustrated, but this comfirms the "dig it all" persistence.

And I know what you mean about guys swinging too fast and coils off the ground. I don't hunt the beaches here much but I see guys out there swinging fast with a big pendulum movement with the coil coming off the ground about 2 inches in front of them and 6 or more on the perimeter. Maybe they are just in it for the exercise. :laughing7:

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. great find,looks better on her. ;D

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey! Fantastic find and congratulations on a well deserved banner.

I already commented to you on this but there are a few things that I think should be pointed out.

I do not think it is Victorian. Based on the hair style and the neckline I would say it is a bit later, probably post 1910.

The other thing is that I am pretty sure the "stone" is ivory. Maybe the bluish tint is from 100 years under the salt sand and surf?

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Hey! Fantastic find and congratulations on a well deserved banner.

I already commented to you on this but there are a few things that I think should be pointed out.

I do not think it is Victorian. Based on the hair style and the neckline I would say it is a bit later, probably post 1910.

The other thing is that I am pretty sure the "stone" is ivory. Maybe the bluish tint is from 100 years under the salt sand and surf?
:icon_thumleft:

Way to go on the banner

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
fir469 said:
Picked up this beautiful 10K or 12K (tested under 14K) Victorian Era (1880-1920) Cameo ring from about 5" down in the shell mulch sand on Sunday. Best part was it was located right smack in the middle of 3 previously dug holes by another MD'er. He was moving way too fast for this trash laden beach and passed it up along with a ton of other targets. They key is to just slow down, sometimes way down, keep that coil flat and persevere... HH all!!

Added more pics as requested, including one of the beauty that stole it from me lol...
I told u the wife would get it. LOL Great find HH Mark And we always called u spoon man wow nomore

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
I suppose that could be some type of white jade. Isn't that rare and only come from China? :icon_sunny:

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that is a stunning ring.

Congrats on the well deserved Banner.

Hang on to that one !!!

Brian in MA

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a well deserved banner posting of your ring! I believe you have a very unique ring, possibly carved out of rare porous white lava, and possibly Italian made from the looks of it, circa late 1890's.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o OH WOW! That ring is definitely something special! Beautiful!! :o Many contrats to ya! Look forward to seeing an update.

Nana

OP
OP
F

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Re: Plucked a Gold Victorian Cameo Ring from the sand Sunday... (Updated more pi

Treasureaholic said:
Great find and what a great looking piece after you cleaned it. What did you use or how did you clean the ring?

Just warm water and a soft toothbrush. that's the best thong about gold no matter how old it's almost always lookin new.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread