Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pluckin' coinz - Old Copper

Did a little diggin' yesterday evening at a friends house where he is having some excavated dirt dumped into his back yard for fill. The dirt is coming from a 1872 home that has had tons of "other excevated dirt" brought in over the years at that the previous owner wanted for his fill. At the old house, years of accumulated extra fill had been brought in by the town highway deptarment mostly coming from the local streets and stuff and it is easily 6 - 10 ft deep. The new owner has the old house under construction putting basement support beams and new foundation and is hauling all the dirt away to relevel the grounds once again.

I could be at this place all summer as he is always moving dirt! :thumbsup:

So at my friends house he said he cut down a small row of Pine Trees and he found two wheaties in the dirt. I began detecting the fill dirt and got nothing but then in the corner where he got the wheaties I plucked out a 1908 Indian Head Cent :icon_thumright: It's a little rough and I nicked it with my digger.

My friend talked with the 1872 home owner for me and granted me permission to go there to detect. So the first thing I do is hit up the front yard, got a couple of memorial cents then I hot a large copper on at the side of the house :icon_thumright: It's a 1837 Half Penny Montreal Bank Token.

I showed the owner and he was excited to see it. He said you can have anything you find but would like the opportunity to buy this copper. I said "Let me take it home and clean it up a bit and I'll bring it back to you and you can have it" but he insisted on buying it from me. I won't take anything for it.

We chatted and I told him how I like to hit up the farmers fields in the Spring where houses once stood and he told me of two old foundations in some woods that he knows of :icon_thumright:, so yeah he can keep this copper, I'll probably find more! ;D

I'll be going back of course and I'll get some pics of the construction. Here's the my 1 1/2 cents...

Attachments

• 1908 IH & 1837 Can.Bank Token.JPG
    1908 IH & 1837 Can.Bank Token.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 792
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pluckin' coinz

Very cool!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Pluckin' coinz

Great find!!
Here's some history;
The British government authorized 4 banks, the Bank of Montreal, the Quebec Bank, the City Bank and La Banque du Peuple, to issue copper pennies and halfpennies with the arms of Montréal on one side and a standing habitant on the other. These coins arrived in Canada just as the Rebellion of 1837 began and were issued in 1838.
Under the British rule, Pre-Confederation tokens, Bouquet Sous, Habitant Sous, half penny and penny tokens, served as coins until 1867 when Confederation formed the Dominion of Canada which started issuing decimal coins in 1870.
Don....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pluckin' coinz - Old Copper

It's always good to share finds with property owners. Congratulations on a good hunt, and good luck in your future hunts!

-Buck

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks good! :thumbsup: And is one I've never found so maybe I should get it and not the land owner. ;D

That penny will probably buy you some good finds!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good finds, I bet those babies would improve a lot with a peroxide bath

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Great finds... Congrats on the new sites, looking forward to seeing the rest of your finds.

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone, I'm hoping to get back there tonight or tomorrow. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I thought that this would've cleaned up a bit better for me to give to the property owner, bummer!

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 276
OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

... so I figured it ain't worth much anyway, so I took it to work and really killed the value of it I guess. BUT... the property owner will probably still love it. Look at all that detail it has :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 260

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggincoinz said:
... so I figured it ain't worth much anyway, so I took it to work and really killed the value of it I guess. BUT... the property owner will probably still love it. Look at all that detail it has :icon_thumleft:

There was no value for you to kill, and I would say without much doubt he will be happier with it that way! I bet many on the forum would probably prefer it that way too.

And you also learned a lesson on stripping off a decent patina. I think many on this forum do the same, we just don't see the before pictures. When your detail is green and that strong, and there's no crud blocking it, the only thing that gets cleaned is the patina which leaves the coin black. Whether it turns all black, mostly black, or just partly black, it never looks better.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Nice Canadian. Found a Montreal Bank penny last summer, myself (see avatar). Good find indeed! Keep digging that dirt.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Copper :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread