Plug Grass Turning Brown...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Weather here has been awefully dry. I noticed a lot of plugs I have made from digging have brown grass. My plugs are about 5" in diameter and are cut neat. Fortunately, most of these are in my own yard. But, I'd hate to go digging a park and leave brown grass plugs around. Is this pretty normal for dry weather. Any solutions? I suppose I could bring a gallon jug of water and water the plug after I tamp it down or limit my digging in dry weather.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One technique that sometimes helps is to dig a three sided plug about 2" deep. Flip this over on the "hinge" side and then continue for additional depth as needed. This a bit easier on the grass roots.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, the three-sided plug is about the best you can do. Something else to try is to use a thin probe, (like an ice-pick) if the detected object is shallow, (1"-3"). Carefully probe the grass until you feel the object and then try to pry/popout it out. Some guy then use a screwdriver for this also. I've been using the ice-pick method for quite a while and it's pretty hard to see where I have popped a coin.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.......Yea....if it get real hot like 100 degrees or so.....I stop hunting the local parks...... till the ground is more moist and temp. gets lower.......even a 3-sided plug can dry up.......now if you severely limit how many holes that you dig........some carry water and for every hole apply about a 1/2 gallon or so......Good Luck....

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About the only thing you can do in hot, dry weather is find places where grass is shaded or head off to the woods.

Watering during a dry spell doesn't help...actually makes it worse by encouraging shallow root growth and faster browning. Grass requires a deep, thorough watering to prevent die off or dormancy. Try to imagine carrying gallons of water to soak every hole you dig.

Something I never tried for grass plugs but we used a lot of when landscaping and installing new plants during the summer is the moisture retaining gel crystals. You drop em in a hole, add water and they swell, soaking up water, then slowly release the water as the ground dries. Looks kinda like jello when soaked.
Or maybe soak some and carry it in containers with water.
This would still involve carrying water or having a supply nearby, plus the time to treat every plug. You can buy the gel crystals at most big box stores that sell plants and landscape supplies.

A plug with a hinge definately helps minimize root damage.

I try to dig my plugs deeper than necessary to preserve the root mass and eliminate the moisture robbing air pockets. I recently bought a pinpointer to probe the clump instead of pulling the dirt away from the roots.

I just find it easier to move to shade or woods and not take the chance of leaving brown spots.

Al

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I've gotten pretty good at digging plugs but occasionally I'll have one that will turn brown. As others have said you should dig a three sided plug. But my recommendation is to dig as deep as possible. I've found that the ones which turn brown are usually the ones that weren't dug deep enough. And if the ground is dry it is very hard to dig deep so it ends up being a catch 22 of sorts.

Also, be sure to get a good pinpointer like the Garrett ProPointer. It does a good job of telling you how close the item is to the surface. Using this device will keep you from digging many plugs in the first place. I would estimate that I dig less than half the number of plugs that I used to when hunting in the park. No plugs, no problem!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'm glad this was brought up, as I'd wondered the same thing. Good insight on the subject! Thanks. :)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, a three sided plug or similar method is not the best you can do. The best you can do is to wait until you are going to get some rain in the forecast after you dig. Not a big deal in your own yard, but a black eye to our hobby in someone else's.

I've been known to carry water with me for watering plugs in the evening when I'm done.

Regards,

Buckles

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Good point BuckleBoy. I'm curious, which do you think is more important: 1) digging plugs when the ground is already wet, or 2) digging plugs when the forecast shows rain in the future? Is one better than the other? Obviously, it would be ideal if both are true. But if only one is going to be true, which would you choose?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jb7487 said:
Good point BuckleBoy. I'm curious, which do you think is more important: 1) digging plugs when the ground is already wet, or 2) digging plugs when the forecast shows rain in the future? Is one better than the other? Obviously, it would be ideal if both are true. But if only one is going to be true, which would you choose?

Personally I only do it if rain is in the immediate future, but perhaps either is o.k.

I don't really know.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
I have dug both kinds, and both turn brown. Deep-Shallow, sometimes it doesn't make a difference! Always be honest when seeking permission and let the owner know the grass will turn back to green in time because it does. You can't go wrong

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it get hot and dry around here. I will not hunt the parks or any place where you can see the yard. As I found out that the plugs will turn brown whether I dig a 3 sided plug or a round plug deep or shadow. So when the weather gets dry the best thing to do is hunt the woods or wait after a god rain. I never go out if it is calling for rain because the weather man if not always right. So wait till it rains. If you want to hunt when it is dry go to tot lots as this s easy picking. Plus I hunt the swimming holes that is around. Plenty of places at the lakes when there is sand. Plus you can do some shallow water detecting. Just be careful not to get the detector wet. Unless you can afford a water detector then you an hunt land or water depending on the weather. I wish you luck on your hunting. I see you are in OH if you are close to me give me a call as I have 2 water detector along with my land detectors and we could get a hunt going water or land.....Matt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvereagle78 said:
I have dug both kinds, and both turn brown. Deep-Shallow, sometimes it doesn't make a difference! Always be honest when seeking permission and let the owner know the grass will turn back to green in time because it does. You can't go wrong

Both kinds? You mean both digging a plug with rain coming the next day, and digging one when it has rained recently?

If this is what you mean, then it implies that carrying around water to water plugs makes no difference.

Or did you mean "both kinds" (3-sided and 4-sided)?

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
A plug is a cirlce u cut out and removed.Thus the gras now has no roots left that are connected.You never should cut a PLUG.Use the 3 side or happy smile and flap it back.Gras roots grow along the surface as well as down.If u leave some of the roots connected ,you shouldnt get any grass die off.Dig the plug deep enough to keep the roots intact.Also if its dry.carrying a water bottle and give the hole a squirt before u drop the flap back.Takes 3 sec to do this and it helps alot!!!!I hunt alot of older homes and i refuse to leave a spot of dead grass so they can hate me.I will carry the water and water before that happens.And when its real dry.i dont hunt those places till it rains.Have to stick with places it doesnt matter(beach or the woods).we have no beaches near me so i head to the woods or heavy shade areas in the parks.Good luck ,happy diggin!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "slit method" is probably the best. You dig at a 45 degree angle down and out from the target (starting the slit directly over the target), then do the same slit down and away at 45 degrees in the other direction. Pull the grass back on both sides, revealing a teepee shaped mound of dirt in the center. That is where the target will be. Refill the dirt and push both sides of the slit back together. Seat in place with your foot.

Regards,

Buckles

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
First time this happened to me I was shocked. I was showing some kids at a local park my MDer and dug up six coins on the lawn. I pride myself on my digging. But a few days later when I was at the park I noticed all the places I had dug were brown spots. :o
I do the 3 sided plug and go deep enough not to ruin the roots. Then I see that the grass is completed ripped away. The kids had gone back and dug into the holes, ripping the grass out.. >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread