PNW Roadtrip 9/5/09

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Rich - thanks for the posts about GPS CRH - it's opened a whole new aspect to this addiction.

I was on the way to see a customer in BFE, so I figured I'd bring the GPS and give it a shot.
I found most banks were open 10-1 on SAT, but some were 10-5!

My GPS hunt netted $500+ in halves to search from over 10 banks, only one 40%, but some great leads.
I also learned a lot about different bank policies/practices.
Like a certain major bank that orders halves regularly and hands out searched Fed rolls that are folded over on one end... :dontknow:
How a certain local bank has a "no money exchange for non-members" policy... :icon_scratch:
That a kiosk bank in a grocery store can sometimes have what you want - and are anxious to get rid of it because space is at a premium... :headbang:
and finally, that some tellers will go out of their way to get rid of every last half in the building because they have been sitting on them for months.
I did find one "dump bank" (10 rolls of 71, 76 and other ick), but they haven't seen any other large coin deposits since.

I found that there are 3 banks near my regular dump banks that all have rolls of customer supplied halves and they are eager to sell. I just have to call them on Friday and they will "sell" the rolls to a Saturday teller so I can get them outside of the normal vault hours (one hour after opening to one hour before closing M-F).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
P.S. 3 "check cashing places" were also hit, they were a total skunk - no halves. I had to show one teller what a half looked like... :-\

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Sounds like you could have competition in your area. Good luck on finding the silver though.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Did a short one during lunch - Man Rich, I love this brand of high-tech CRH!
Found a BofA in a strip mall just 4 miles from work and asked for all their halves. The vault teller smiled and said "Sure, but you owe me Starbucks!". Well, they had $190.50, so I took it all.
Get back to work and open two rolls - first was s skunk, second made a magical sound I have never heard before - full roll of 40%.
:headbang:

Wow, the rest of the canvas sack they gave me could be Bicentennial Clad and I'd still be jazzed.

...and yes, it feels weird leaving the bank clutching a canvas bag half full of coin...

istockphoto_2894651-bank-robber.jpg

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
:thumbsup: GPS is the way to go on road trips. I found a bank hidden in a strip mall that I pass by once a week. Never knew the bank was there.
I believe I got $7.50 in loose 90's and 40's.

Rich

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
:thumbsup: GPS is the way to go on road trips. I found a bank hidden in a strip mall that I pass by once a week.
Not to mention that your GPS can help find your way back home after a day of road trippin. A big help for those of us that are youthfully challenged! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Totals are in:
3 solid rolls of 40%!!
'65 - 3
'66 - 11
'67 - 23
'68 - 13
'69 - 10

If it were a box, it would have been the same percentages as a dream box - wow...

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Dang. That's a good haul! I hope we never cross paths in the field - we might crash into each other, and it'd be a hell of a time sorting out all of the silver!

My best congrAGs to you. Find more!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread