May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been finding gold every time that I go out lately based on the info I read on the web and through expierences on my own from going out, and then using that info to dig my ass off and process material.
I'm still learning and going to ask stupid questions like this one. Are these pock marks or little craters in the quartz where gold once was or just where the quartz was attached to the host rock?

Attachments

• qu 004.jpg
    qu 004.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4,090
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most likely just the way the silica solution cooled. pockets in side quarts veins are the home of sweet crystals.

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank ya. Wass always curious

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Most likely those cavities once contained softer minerals that were easily dissolved by acidic water, unlike quartz which is very tough. Fluorspar for example or calcite, but there's countless other options as well. Those crystals are good omens, I find much quartz up near Vein Mtn just like that. And another spot that has gold here in SC also has such rocks. I will try to post some pics of the ones I got when the sun comes out.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Looks like where the iron pyrites were..note the rusty brown..and you'll notice in your pickings that many of the cavities are squarish,where the cubes once were.

Bunk

Nov 28, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
ML 4000-ML X70
dave wiseman said:
Looks like where the iron pyrites were..note the rusty brown..and you'll notice in your pickings that many of the cavities are squarish,where the cubes once were.
This is what I think also. Sometimes you will see little pieces of pyrite that have not decomposed yet and that is a good indicator for gold.
Bunk

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good looking quartz. "Dirty quartz". The pock marks probably did NOT contain gold. Oh, BTW, when certain minerals are added to quartz, you get some very pretty crystals, but quartz itself does not make crystals and breaks without cleavage. TTC

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quartz is like the second most abundant mineral in the earths crust....and it does form crystals!...trig . and when you crack open a piece of quartz float it will have/can have holes,bubbles ,vuggs all sorts of pouracity(sic) depending on the deposit, that have nothing to do with alluvial erosion.just the way the silica solution cooled under preassure and depending on those preassures temperatures and the prescence of other elements besides pock mark holes you find citrine, feldspar,amethyst,agate,geodes,onyx,jasper,carnelian......voids make the crystals.....even under pressure

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes from erosion of softer minerals....but not always.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those vuggy pockets can also be the home of the sweetest crystalline gold, as it has the room to grow. Quartz and porphyry with cubes of limonite crystals and black manganese, red stained quartz.
The more mineralization the better.

pvillehunter said:
most likely just the way the silica solution cooled. pockets in side quarts veins are the home of sweet crystals.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is exactly what i meant by sweet crystals.... :headbang:

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Here's one of the rocks I was talking about that I took back to my house, from Vein Mtn Gold Camp.

Sorry I don't have more pictures, but you can see the crystal pockets in there, which I thought was so neat.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I to have some neat crystal specimens.
DSCF3144.JPG
DSCF3154.JPG

I am looking for ore close to the findings of those crystals, though not gold but Galena. :read2:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
When quartz is formed, usually hot fluid. Bubbles can occur, called vugs. Others have suggested these contained pyrites are are worthless. NOT SO! Gold can frequent the interstices between pyrite crystals and quartz. Not always, but sometimes. That's what assays are all about.

Herman Oliver Museum in John Day, Oregon has a beautiful specimen of pea-sized gold nuggets embedded in rotted quartz. Upper half of this rock is chrysoprase, a semi-precious stone also called nickel bloom: a kind of transluscent light greenish stone, very common on Little Canyon Mountain, just southeast of John Day. If you go up to the cemetery and continue up the mountain, some interesting rock collecting areas will show themselves.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Must have been seeing things man all these years....ha,ha,ha.Must have inhaled some of that drifting smoke the DEA agents caused when burning up the fall harvest.Believing those little cavities in quartz once held sulphides/pyrites,whatever.Excuse my dust BRO,I bow my head to you.Dave in the motherlode. :dontknow: 8) I do wear my sunglasses at night and slept through most earth science classes. :thumbsup:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry if that response was because of my post dave????? i wasnt saying you were wrong..just adding a little more info wich is what the original post was looking for.i never said you were wrong and didnt mean to sound like i was absolutely right. i have only seen these rocks in pictures so im only 98% sure im right...... :headbang:........just teasin BRO :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread