Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go look at your change jar. How much older than the present are those coins? I bet the mix will be pretty similar, but with lower quantity.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't no but this mite help, Here in my town they built a park in the early 80T's like 1982, and this year we were finding pennies from the early 70T's I would think there a 10 to 40T's year on any park. So in other words,
I think if they built a park in 1900 you should find coins from the mid to late 1800's if not older. just my opinion that doesn't mean much.Ive only been detecting for three summers now,and this being the third. happy hunt en liftloop

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the coins would be 20 to 30 yrs old just lime the change in your pockets.....Matt

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
75-80% of pocket change is less than 10 years old today. In 1900, though, pocket change would be closer to 20-30 years old. And keep in mind in 1900 gold coins were still in common circulation, and valued at gold prices at the time: around $20 for a $20 gold double eagle.

Now you know why it's important to hunt older areas.

kmatcek

Greenie
May 5, 2006
Lufkin, TX
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well let me add this. We use banks today like no other era has, we don't save money at home like they did way back when.
I graduated high school in 1980 and the store across the street from my high school had coins from the 30's-40's all the time in our change.
I even stopped saving coins if they were not silver.
The old German heritage folks around there had their money stashed and as the kids needed lunch money they gave them money from the stash.
So my opinion is the further you go back in time the older the coins people would possibly be carrying in their pockets that is if they pulled some money from the cash stash.
Today we do not save like our grandparents did for the rainy day.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Back in my Grandpa's day folks didn't carry loose pocket change . Coinage and folding money , if you had it , was carried in a snap clasp leather purse in a secure pocket of your overalls .
They were self sufficient enough that there was no need for day to day monetary transactions like we experience today .
Saved up coins were much older than you would find in a survey today .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread