pocket size sonar and windows mobile device sonar ce ...any use in finding voids

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I just finished reading a novel and the character used a pocket size sonar device to detect a void in a stone wall. Wow! I wonder if that is true,,,,I thought,,,,

So i found there is a free sonar application for a lot of windows mobile phones,,

http://nerdipedia.com/tiki-index.php?page_ref_id=27

Also there are a few diver or fishfinder type sonars are around.

Would these have any use in detecting voids like caves or even objects,,,under the ground?

And now..on to looking up the handheld microwave torch he used,,,lol

S

stefen

desertmoons said:
I just finished reading a novel and the character used a pocket size sonar device to detect a void in a stone wall. Wow! I wonder if that is true,,,,I thought,,,,

So i found there is a free sonar application for a lot of windows mobile phones,,

http://nerdipedia.com/tiki-index.php?page_ref_id=27

Also there are a few diver or fishfinder type sonars are around.

Would these have any use in detecting voids like caves or even objects,,,under the ground?

And now..on to looking up the handheld microwave torch he used,,,lol

There are sled-mounted ground penetrating sonar that has been used successfully by archaeologist to map buried villages, for instance, which avoids massive digging operations. The devices are connected to computer mapping software that can be printed in a similar manner as a Cad file for topographic mapping. I have seen the results of these in operation and its quite impressive.

I'm sure that they are more sophisticated today.

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Your trying to do what they now do with Ground Penetrating Radar. The problem with Sonar which for ground purposes is called Seismic Imaging, you have to have the transducer in the ground to be able to send and receive the land echoes. Also the speed at which the sound waves travel is different for water than it is for earth so that would have to be changed in the software. Ground Radar uses radio waves which frees you from ground contact and gives you the freedom to walk around and observe the images.

Randy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread