Pocket Watch Found Under Floor Boards!

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Finished the last bit of flooring in my new home and while I was tearing up some of the old flooring I found an Elgin pocket watch wrapped in old terry cloth. I know NOTHING about pocket watches so I googled the info. Found out that you get the ID from inside the watch casing in what is called the "Movement Serial Number". This is what I came up with:

Serial Number SN Range RunQty Name Year grade size code jewels Adj/reg/etc.
-------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
33231924 33229001 3000 1929 479* 12s o3n10p 17j Adj

grade total runs first yr last yr class size code jewels Adj/name
----- ----- ----- -------- ------- ----- ---- ------ ------ ----------
479 169000 65 1923 1932 ? 12s o3n10p 17j Adj

If any of you can shed any more light on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• elgin1.jpg
    elgin1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 2,052
  • elgin2.jpg
    elgin2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,290
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BttleDiggerDrew

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
lennon631 said:
That's a great watch, I'd like to know WHY they wrapped it up and put it there??? :icon_scratch:

This isn't the first thing that I found in this house, I also found bills and coinage that I posted a couple weeks ago..On top of that my property backs right against "Jockey Hollow", which is a national historic landmark and was an encampment for the continental army. Of course I would follow protocol and NOT MD this park, just my land.
http://www.purdes.com/njhiking/jockey_hollow/index.html

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats really neat! Dont you love lifes little surprises! ;D

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet find!!!!! MR TUFF

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet pocket watch, althouth I mainly collect South Bend Studebaker watches. According to my Engle and Shugart watch book, the movement was made in 1931. The case could be from any year. More info from the inside of it would be needed to maybe figure that out. The movement itself isnt of super high quality, so I doubt the case (if origninal) is tops either. There should be stamps on the inside back case that will tell more. Also, with a magnfying glass, you should see any jeweler marks with dates (if its ever been worked on).

OP
OP
BttleDiggerDrew

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
VWandSTUDEBAKER said:
Sweet pocket watch, althouth I mainly collect South Bend Studebaker watches. According to my Engle and Shugart watch book, the movement was made in 1931. The case could be from any year. More info from the inside of it would be needed to maybe figure that out. The movement itself isnt of super high quality, so I doubt the case (if origninal) is tops either. There should be stamps on the inside back case that will tell more. Also, with a magnfying glass, you should see any jeweler marks with dates (if its ever been worked on).

Isn't the the proper way to date the watch is by the serial number on the movement?

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BttleDiggerDrew said:
VWandSTUDEBAKER said:

Isn't the the proper way to date the watch is by the serial number on the movement?

Yes, thats why I said the movement was made in 1931 (according to my book). But the movement is only half the story of the watch. The movement can be moved over the years from case to case, as long as you know the size of the movement. I think you said it was a 12 according to the info you looked up.

The second half of the story is on the inside back of the case. There should be markings as to who made it and what its made out of. Also, unless you have very good eye sight,you will need a something to see the very small repair marks and dates.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
check the case(if you didnt alread) and if it says "gurenteed --years" then its just gold filled. its a very awesome find no matter what!!!! :thumbsup: even though im more of a 1880-1910 kind of guy when it comes to watches ;D 8)

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE find. Looks like a flappers timepiece, It could be worth quite a lot or a few bucks but hey it's all in the hunt. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread