Pocket Watch

aerograd

Jul 10, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok so here is my latest relic find. I actually found it a few weeks ago but our digital camera had died just before that so I had to wait until now to get a new camera, take some photos, and post them here. It was found in a neighbors backyard. She told me she had found some railroad spikes and thought maybe a railroad went through her property at one time. There was in fact a railroad that went through our neighborhood, but I don't think it ran through her yard. I am thinking her yard was previously home to either a trash pit because of all the other junk that was making my Ace250 sound off. I dug this target not thinking it was going to be anything, but almost as soon as I saw the back of the target I was thinking "a watch!". After digging it up and cleaning it off a bit, I was able to take out the movement and read the manufacturer and serial number off. It turns out this is an Elgin pocket watch from 1907. 7 jewels, 6s size, grade 289. There were 4000 watches made in this run and a total of 321,000 of these watches made between 1903 and 1921. It's obviously not in collector condition, but it is my first real relic and I was very excited about finding it. It has definitely made me anxious to try out some more relic hunting in the area. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN0008a.jpg
    DSCN0008a.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCN0009a.jpg
    DSCN0009a.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCN0010a.jpg
    DSCN0010a.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCN0011a.jpg
    DSCN0011a.jpg