• DSC_2351 (800x532).jpg
    DSC_2351 (800x532).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 276
Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Savannah River 5000-2000 BC, I find them around here alot, almost always made of quartzite. It's hard to find them in good condition, the freeze and thaw over the years is rough on quartzite. Here's a few from my area of Va. material is red quartzite except the first piece, that's slate.

http://www.projectilepoints.net/Pages/Searches/Points/Savannah River.html

Attachments

• phpjrDI3vPM.jpg
    phpjrDI3vPM.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 247
  • phpv61lkMPM.jpg
    phpv61lkMPM.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 253
OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
thirty7 said:
Savannah River 5000-2000 BC, I find them around here alot, almost always made of quartzite.
Thanks for the quick I.D. I have a couple of these only difference is the size. Are you in the Valley?
Viking.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
theviking said:
thirty7 said:
Savannah River 5000-2000 BC, I find them around here alot, almost always made of quartzite.
Thanks for the quick I.D. I have a couple of these only difference is the size. Are you in the Valley?
Viking.

No problem, I'm in the Alleghany highlands, couple valleys west and south of you. I have done some hunting in the sv though around Harrisonburg and along the Shenandoah watershed.

There are two types of Savanah River points. The larger ones like the pieces in my hand and another type called simply " Small Savannah River " These are usually 2.5 inches and smaller, the other type gets large, I 've seen some examples well over 7 inches.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the added info. The points in the first pic. are huge. I guess mine has had some touch up work on the tip.
Thanks again for all the good info.
viking.

K

Keokukjeff

Very nice thin point Viking...............
looks old
like it should be on the 7000 year end of that period......

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
thirty7 said:
theviking said:
thirty7 said:
Viking.

No problem, I'm in the Alleghany highlands, couple valleys west and south of you. I have done some hunting in the sv though around Harrisonburg and along the Shenandoah watershed.

There are two types of Savanah River points. The larger ones like the pieces in my hand and another type called simply " Small Savannah River " These are usually 2.5 inches and smaller, the other type gets large, I 've seen some examples well over 7 inches.
Over 7 inches?.... That might explain a few of the large broken tips that I have. One tip is over 2 inches long and was still getting larger at the break. Thanks for the crash course on savanahs.

Thanks for the kind words Jeff, it does look old.
viking

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that is freeze pop. I wonder if many of the ones I thought were fire pop were freeze pop. Thanks for all the good info thirty7 and Viking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread