Points from the great wash out

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Originally I had posted the following but, until now was unable to post pics.

"I was able to get the day off yesterday so a buddy and I drove WAY down into southern KY to look at some of his sites. I had never been there before so I really did not know what to expect. One field in particular was situated on a large stream. The stream had risen so high that it COMPLETELY enveloped the field in several feet of water. The water had since dropped. Every bit of top soil in the whole field was gone down the hardpan of brownish red clay. Flint lay stacked in pockets in the hardpan. It was like hunting for Easter Eggs. I literally filled my pockets with broken points. I managed to find six or seven complete points with four of them being quite nice (I found so much stuff that I do not even remember what I found as I would pick them up and put them in my pocket quickly in order to back to business, and have not looked at them since I got home). One point in particular resembles a Beaver Lake (and very well may be but, could also be a large brewerton). This all happened in about twenty or thirty minutes. One pocket in the clay would often have a point and two broken points along with a five or six flint flakes.

I guess my point is that........all the while, although having the time of my life, I could not help but think of misfortune of the unlucky farmer. His field was destroyed. I am not sure if he was insured for such things, I seriously doubt it. The field will be useless unless dirt is brought in and spread out upon it. I could not help but think about how such a great day for me resulted from such a trajedy for the farmer.

I promise to post some pics of my finds as soon as I take them. My digital camera needs to be replaced and all I have is a Motorola Droid to take pics. I also hope to post some of my other recent finds including some very nice points and a pretty nice celt along with a few dozen other finds. Hope everyone came out ok in those rains."

The eared point is a Greenbrier I believe. Feel free to give your opinion. The broken Benton really hurt. Check out the base to the Sonora dove! The Tyrone or Crab Orchard blade was decent. The broken points are about a fourth of what I found that day.

Chuck

Attachments

• earedpoint.jpg
    earedpoint.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 485
  • brokenbenton.jpg
    brokenbenton.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 476
  • sonoradovebroken.jpg
    sonoradovebroken.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 485
  • bigtyroneblade.jpg
    bigtyroneblade.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 494
  • kybrokens.jpg
    kybrokens.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
You gots to love conditions like that...a headhunters dream come true. Nice finds man, what is that material? Ky. fossilized chert? What a teaser that sonora base is, i hope you find the rest. Looks like it would of been a good size dove judging from the size of the base, hard to tell though.

I agree that point could be Beaver lake, I'd also consider Candy Creek, they look alot like Beaver lakes and Brewertons. I agree with you on Greenbrier...nice blade too. Thanks for sharing that great day o' hunting.

OP
OP
ohio

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Americus and Thirty7, thanks for the comments. Thirty yes it is a variety of fossiliferous chert common in KY and I do reckon it is a Greenbrier. You are right guys, the conditions were right! I have only walked conditions such as that a few times. Thanks for the comments. Good luck out there.

Chuck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice post. You are right when that top soil is gone game over. Nice site. Like that blade also. Nice greenbriar glad you got pictures I remember reading this. Worth the wait,, Good luck !

OP
OP
ohio

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Thanks for the comments all. Good luck out there.

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread