Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I Swear.....I have dug in that stuff all day and it has never bothered me.....I might have had it as a kid but I seriously don't remember it ever effecting me.Same thing with the "chigger's".....Good Luck out there!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
poison ivy is evil. learn what it looks like. the old leaves of three thing is kinda true, but its also true of 90% of the other plants in the woods. if your going to avoid every plant with three leaves you might as well stay indoors. poison ivy can look different from season to season, even habitat to habitat. it can be reddish, brownish, green, shiny, dull, can be a vine or a bush or just a small plant. it can even have berries on it. one thing it will never have is thorns. go online and do a search for poison ivy. there are several tests you can take to learn what it looks like. i carry a product called ivy block that works ok. you put it on before you go into the woods and if you touch ivy, it will prevent the oil from getting in your skin. you want to wash it off as soon as you get somewhere with water though and then re apply. you can even get ivy from indirect contact. if the oil gets on a shovel or something, you can keep giving it to yourself for over a year! and dont forget the roots carry the oil too so you can (and will) get it from touching them. and earlier in the thread someone mentioned getting it from smoke. this is 100% true. and if you breathe that smoke you will be in the hospital with ivy in your lungs! i hate hate hate poison ivy!! :-\

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
http://www.altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

The Jewelweed plant has been used for centuries in North America by Native Americans and Herbalists, as a natural preventative and treatment for poison ivy and poison oak; and is a folk remedy for many other skin disorders .
More than 9 out of 10 users of Amazing Jewelweed Remedies (who expressed an opinion) report itch relief and faster healing of rash from Poison Ivy and Poison Oak!

fight fire with fire, fight a plant, with a plant. ;-)

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
fight fire with fire, fight a plant, with a plant.
jewelweed huh? gotta try it...i always used aloe for burns....have my own plant.....but i guess i'll get a jawel plant as my eyes are almost closed from the latest bout with what i think is poison oak ....can't be sure but this is the 3rd time this summer i have had one or the other.......does the jewel plant grow here or is it a house plant?

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006
spotted jewelweed or the "touch me not" is really prevalent here in michigan but i have never heard of it being used for a poison ivy treatment. i do alot of logging so iknow the dang plant by sight however i usually walk in anyway......its a great day when you are wading thru it waist deep then burying you chainsaw into a tree covered with vines 2 inches in diameter.....with berries hanging. "berries are the sign of a healthy plant" :o i usually scratch the affected area until the skin is broken open then apply a good amount of ammonia, the itch disappears instantly!!!! although there is some slight discomfort the instant it touches your skin lol ;D

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
""does the jewel plant grow here or is it a house plant?""

it is sort of a big weed, grows in wet areas sort of comes in two variations, with different color flowers, yellow and yellow/orange/red, the yellow is not as potent and the yellow/orange/red is prefered for the ivy cure. I believe it is also called 'touch-me-not' because it's mature seed pods kind of 'explode' when you try to touch them, sending the seeds flying

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
""Jewelweed is best known for its skin healing properties. The leaves and the juice from the stem of Jewelweed are used by herbalists to cure poison ivy and other plant induced rashes, as well as many other types of dermatitis. Jewelweed works by counter-reacting with the chemicals in other plants that cause irritation. Poultices and salves from Jewelweed are a folk remedy for bruises, burns, cuts, eczema, insect bites, sores, sprains, warts, and ringworm. ""

http://www.altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i remember that plant when i was a kid. some lady had them in front of her house.i used to love to try andpick the seed pods off without them popping...the skin kinda curled back on itself...am i right? i have not seen them since and always wondered what they were ...thanks for the info (can i call you halfie?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread