Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole darn plant is poisonous! That's why you have to boil all the toxins out. I love the stuff like mom use to fix it.

POLK SALAD
Ingredients: fresh spring time polk greens, bacon, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

1.Pick a grocery sack full of polk, cutting only the top tender leaves. Be sure to trim off any stems. (You need a lot because it will boil down). Wash thoroughly in cool water.
2. Boil, drain and rinse thoroughly at least two times, 20 minutes each time. (Rolling boil).
3. Fry at least 4 strips of bacon in a large frying pan, cook until crisp.
4. Break up the bacon strips into fine flakes. Pour off all but about 2 to 3 tablespoons of bacon grease and put flaked bacon back into pan with the grease.
5. Add two heaping tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to the bacon mixture and bring to a boil, cook until sugar dissolves.
6. Add boiled down polk greens being sure to drain off all boiling water, stir well to coat with sugar,vinegar and bacon mixture.
7. Let greens simmer without a lid in vinegar, sugar, bacon grease and bacon until most all of the liquid cooks off. The bacon, vinegar, & sugar mixture will act as a dressing. Can also be used at breakfast if cooked greens are mixed into scrambled eggs.
8. Serve as a side dish to beef or porkchops and/or as a salad on the side. The only odor you will smell is the bacon and vinegar cooking and it smells delicious to me!

Fresh springtime polk greens can be found growing wild in nearly any creek or river bottom in the southwest or south USA. CAUTION: Be sure you know what it is as some people have accidentally pulled poison ivy that also grows wild in the same areas!

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tubecity said:
Poke berries also make a good clothes dye, I just cant' recall offhand what is used
to set the color to make it permanent, I thinks it was cold salt water. ?

I may try that, thanks.

Fossis............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~trish~ said:
Where did the third fella bury the first two fellas - after he figured out it needed boiling three times before it was safe.

lol jim!

I remember being a kid and the lil lady next door to us would eat that stuff and i couldnt for the life of me remember what it looked like after growing up.

I think i'd rather mowe it than go through the trouble of cooking it. I remember it tasting good though.

To each his own, I just mow it too. ;D
Or I pick it for other folks.

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
The whole darn plant is poisonous! That's why you have to boil all the toxins out. I love the stuff like mom use to fix it.

POLK SALAD
Ingredients: fresh spring time polk greens, bacon, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

1.Pick a grocery sack full of polk, cutting only the top tender leaves. Be sure to trim off any stems. (You need a lot because it will boil down). Wash thoroughly in cool water.
2. Boil, drain and rinse thoroughly at least two times, 20 minutes each time. (Rolling boil).
3. Fry at least 4 strips of bacon in a large frying pan, cook until crisp.
4. Break up the bacon strips into fine flakes. Pour off all but about 2 to 3 tablespoons of bacon grease and put flaked bacon back into pan with the grease.
5. Add two heaping tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to the bacon mixture and bring to a boil, cook until sugar dissolves.
6. Add boiled down polk greens being sure to drain off all boiling water, stir well to coat with sugar,vinegar and bacon mixture.
7. Let greens simmer without a lid in vinegar, sugar, bacon grease and bacon until most all of the liquid cooks off. The bacon, vinegar, & sugar mixture will act as a dressing. Can also be used at breakfast if cooked greens are mixed into scrambled eggs.
8. Serve as a side dish to beef or porkchops and/or as a salad on the side. The only odor you will smell is the bacon and vinegar cooking and it smells delicious to me!

Fresh springtime polk greens can be found growing wild in nearly any creek or river bottom in the southwest or south USA. CAUTION: Be sure you know what it is as some people have accidentally pulled poison ivy that also grows wild in the same areas!

Thanks for the recipe Monty, it does sound good.

Fossis...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread