POLL: Buy New or Used?

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
$$ is everything. i wouldnt spend more than say $200-300 on a used detector and thats if i'm getting it at less than half price. MD'ers are pretty sensitive devices so if i'm gonna spend several hundred bucks, i want a warranty.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying used saves you money on the purchase only. There is no warranty for second hand buyers. If you are a newbie, you won't know if the detector is working properly and would bad mouth a fine detector that was "sick." But some buyers are lucky and get a fantastic machine that they couldn't or wouldn't afford otherwise. If I found another Excal at a garage sale you can bet I would bring it home with me so I could swing one on each arm.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
It depends on the item and any research I have come up with to support a good deal or am I just gambling. There are alot of good used items for sale when peoples interests change or what have you and then there are deals out there that are pure chance. Othertimes, piece of mind in knowing what the item has been through and as Sandman said you then get the warranty, too.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
My last three machines were bought used. All three are in excellent condition. Of course all three were bought from metal detectorist from this or other forums (NOT EBAY). I have no regrets and I also have three fantastic detectors. Oh yeah and like Sandman said you don't have a warranty but that wasn't much of a factor for my situation.

Cal

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'd buy used from the guys on this board--if they have more than a few posts, and had been a member here for awhile--to where I thought I could trust 'em.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I bought 2 used EX2's when everyone was dumping them to get the new SE. Also bought 2 Excals that were also used. I can afford to buy new but all these machines were in pristine condition and work great. From what I saved I figure I can get them fixed if they break and still be ahead of the game. Depends on the detector. I bought my Fisher F-75 new because I had heard there were problems with some so I have the warranty on that one but so far it also works like a charm

OP
OP
Me

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
I think this has largely to do with ones financial status. If you're knocking off $100,000+ a year and the wife gives you a decent allowance from that amount then maybe you can swing all brand new machines.

I buy mostly new for the reasons mentioned here. However, I also sell my like new machines on ebay so I know there are good ones offered there.

I've also purchased some used machines via the bay and all but one was great. The one poor one was an old relic machine I bought mainly for nostalgic purposes anyway.

One great detector brand to buy used is Tesoro. The warrentee is awesome. They fix almost anything for almost any reason. I've even heard they usually fix machines way-off warranty for free. And another thing that may be even more important is the newer coils work on most of the older models.

I like used because I can try a model out and not lose any money on it if I decide to turn around and sell it.

MB

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought new and used . About two years ago I bought a used machine that was like new and after about 6 hours on it the coil went bad . It was a new model and was basically a factory defect but I had to pay for a new coil because I bought it used. Other then that I have never had a problem buying used machines and have got some great deals here on treasure net. I have bought three new machines also but I always have used a trade in so not to hurt my wallet to much.

OP
OP
Me

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
birdman said:
I have bought new and used . About two years ago I bought a used machine that was like new and after about 6 hours on it the coil went bad . It was a new model and was basically a factory defect but I had to pay for a new coil because I bought it used.

What was the brand of the machine that had the failed coil? This could happen with any brand but I'm just curious.

MB

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a fisher ID excel , I had a fisher CZ5 that I beat half to death and never had any problem with it and the ID Excel died with out a scratch on it. I sent it to fisher for troubleshooting and traded it off.The new coil cost me about 130.00 if I remember right. It had good target separation but not great depth . I am sure it was just a fluke being Fisher puts out a good product.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
birdman said:
It was a fisher ID excel , I had a fisher CZ5 that I beat half to death and never had any problem with it and the ID Excel died with out a scratch on it. I sent it to fisher for troubleshooting and traded it off.The new coil cost me about 130.00 if I remember right. It had good target separation but not great depth . I am sure it was just a fluke being Fisher puts out a good product.

Glad it wasn't your Tesoro birdman.

Say, it's been a while, how is your Vaquero working for you?

I love my Tejon.

Badger

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
whites has a transferable warranty....as long as warranty is in affect! ;)

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I buy both new and used. I bought my X-5 used at about half price new.
I tend to buy used from dealers only. It is a bit more expensive and you will not get a bargain. However, if you have problems with it after you get it the dealer will take care of you.

Warranties are not a big issue for me as I upgrade a lot.

George

Billiard Rich

Sep 23, 2006
Crestwood, IL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
I'm always watching ebay for under-priced machines. Whenever I pick one up, I test it and if it works OK, I'll swing it a few days to see how I like it. The hard-part is deciding which machines to put back up for sale on ebay. (Never got burned buying a used machine. Did get burned buying used coils a couple of times.) One day I'll buy a new machine with full warranty and customer support. But right now I'm having too much fun buying low and selling a little higher.

HH

Rich

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
i buy only used. i'm on limited budget and this lets me aquire top end machines at a fraction of cost. my latest machine is an explorer xs with sunray probe for $475 and machine is just awesome.you can find some great deals on this and other similar sites(treasure depot is one) most guys and gals on these sites are square shooters and you get what is advertised. another way to protect yourself is by using paypal or postal moneyorder. just my opinion but i've bought and sold on this and other sites(over 10 transactions) and never had a problem.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger the Vaquero is working out well. It seems like a winner thus far. About this time next year I may try the tejon but the V is a winner for sure.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're knocking off $100,000+ a year and the wife gives you a decent allowance from that amount then maybe you can swing all brand new machines

This is good. No wonder so many guys buy used................LOL :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread