Poll - What started you CRH?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What initially got you into this wonderful hobby of CRH?

1) I found some old coins in change and figured if I bought more coins from banks I'd find more old coins
2) A family member/friend told me about it and how to do it
3) I started metal detecting and ran across this site on treasure net
4) I stumbled across a youtube video and decided to try it for myself
5) I collect coins and have known about this for a long time

Upvote 0

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
#1 and #4 I found a dateless buffalo on the ground in a gamestop when I was checking out.didnt know what it was so researched about it and I found some youtube videos on Coin Roll Hunting.And it all went crazy from there.I then sold the dateless buff to a friend for 10 bucks.I was only like 8 so I had no feelings for ripping people off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys I meant to post the real poll, not one real poll and two threads with just a text poll. Moderator, can you please delete the two text copies of the poll I put out there?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainly #3, but also #1, 2, & 5. My dad has had me checking dates on my pocket change since I was old enough to understand what I was looking for and why (early 1970's). I had a great uncle that CRHed back when coins were still made of silver, and my dad and I talked about going to the bank to buy coins to search, but never did for some reason.

But what got me started CRHing, was Rich Hartford...or more accurately, his finds. I have metal detected since I have been big enough to swing a detector. While perusing metal detecting websites, I stumbled across TNet and the CRH forum. I was absolutely shocked that so much silver could still be found in circulation.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna start CRH after I chatted with Buffaloboy on this subject , he's a nice guy, good luck aceman

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
#3, without the metal detecting part... Many will say that this forum doesn't contribute much to the amount of CRH'ers active today. I'll tell you though, I found and devoured this forum in about 3 days.... Been hammering the silver in my area ever since.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Number 4, found the vid by accident and went to the bank and started ordering boxes the next day, that was about 9 months ago. I found this site a few months ago and love it! I can't imagine I'll ever stop doing boxes now. HH, Maverick.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
#1. I found like a brand new 1978 penny, then started buying a few ihc and v nickels at my antique dealer. After that I bought a "unsearched" lot of wheaties on Ebay. Then I was watching youtube videos about people going to the bank and buying roll of coins, so I stayed home sick from school one day and when I was feeling better, I went and grabbed some penny and dime rolls. I remember my first penny find was a 1932 D wheat. Then ive taken it to the extreme since then

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 I found a silver dime in change one day and thought what if I buy thousands of dimes Im sure to find a ton of silver well that didnt really work the way I wanted it to so I started to look at quarters and didnt find anything then I moved to halves and found them to be the best.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4, you tube is surprisingly chalked full of useful information. It's not just a place to watch people trip on LSD and scrawny girls with arms like olive oil get owned trying to shoot a Desert Eagle( search this if you wanna die of laughter).

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#3 metal detecting blows all the old timers got to the sites before i was even thinking of detecting.....i decided to follow in the foot steps of timz...
aka the god father of coin roll hunting

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
#3 metal detecting blows all the old timers got to the sites before i was even thinking of detecting.....
Wow are you ever wrong...we dig hundreds of old silvers here in Michigan every year, silver dollars, halves, Barbers, seateds, etc, the detectors of yesteryear weren't that great. Roll hunting is cool, but give me quality over quantity every time.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow are you ever wrong...we dig hundreds of old silvers here in Michigan every year, silver dollars, halves, Barbers, seateds, etc, the detectors of yesteryear weren't that great. Roll hunting is cool, but give me quality over quantity every time.
Maybe your state is loaded i always tell diggit theres silver all over michigan...but here in wisconsin its lame lame lame...i can drive 150 miles check out over a dozen sights and if im extremely lucky i might find 1 someone else missed but it doesnt happen very often....im at 24 silver for the year and i doubt i will come up with much else

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe your state is loaded i always tell diggit theres silver all over michigan...but here in wisconsin its lame lame lame...i can drive 150 miles check out over a dozen sights and if im extremely lucky i might find 1 someone else missed but it doesnt happen very often....im at 24 silver for the year and i doubt i will come up with much else
We kill the silver at "hunted out" sites. Places where others come out empty-handed. It's all about the equipment, and of course, experience. I've been dirtfishing for 4 years, but have thousands of hours in the field.
BTW, 24 silvers for the year is nothing to sneeze at. I'm at 6 so far, haven't been out much because of the drought.
Good luck

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We kill the silver at "hunted out" sites. Places where others come out empty-handed. It's all about the equipment, and of course, experience. I've been dirtfishing for 4 years, but have thousands of hours in the field.
BTW, 24 silvers for the year is nothing to sneeze at. I'm at 6 so far, haven't been out much because of the drought.
Good luck
All but 2 of my silver come from the same place across the street from my house a very small town with a over looked park...the 1903 church up the block has given up 1 penny from 86 and my ballfield from the 20's has given up nothing but modern clad...yet the little park spits out 22 silver 5 buffalo's 40 + wheats...its what we call a virgin park...well not so virgin anymore..as for the other 2 silver it took me 300 miles of driving and 12 old church hunts to find ...i know how to use my machine well enough to tell you its not the machine or the user its the locations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread